The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

5 second count question

Team A has just scored. Upon inbounding the ball, Team B is called for a 5 second violation. The person inbounding the ball for Team A takes three steps to the right and inbounds the ball. There is no whistle.

My thinking is that this should have been a violation. The 5 second call stops the clock and creates a dead ball situation? The person inbounding the ball should be restricted to the designated 3 foot throw in spot?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCott
Team A has just scored. Upon inbounding the ball, Team B is called for a 5 second violation. The person inbounding the ball for Team A takes three steps to the right and inbounds the ball. There is no whistle.

My thinking is that this should have been a violation. The 5 second call stops the clock and creates a dead ball situation? The person inbounding the ball should be restricted to the designated 3 foot throw in spot?
It isn't the "deadball" that creates a spot throw-in, it's that the throw-in isn't after the opponents scored or were awarded a basket.

If "three steps" means that neither foot was on or over teh 3' spot, then, yes, this shiould have been a violation.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.

I'm six feet tall, and with a long stride, I can legally inbound the ball from an area eleven feet wide, still keeping one of my two feet over the three foot wide designated spot. It's not the number of steps that counts, you can't travel during a throw-in, it's the length of the steps that counts.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 10, 2008 at 04:47pm.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I'm six feet tall, and with a long stride, I can legally inbound the ball from an area eleven feet wide, still keeping one of my two feet over the three foot wide designated spot.
I'd love to see that!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 05:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yes !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I'd love to see that!
Left foot over farthest right side of three-foot designated spot, four foot stride to the right with right foot. Switch. Right foot over farthest left side of three-foot designated spot, four foot stride to the left with left foot. Four plus three plus four equals eleven.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 05:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Left foot over farthest right side of three-foot designated spot, four foot stride to the right with right foot. Switch. Right foot over farthest left side of three-foot designated spot, four foot stride to the left with left foot. Four plus three plus four equals eleven.
Billy, try an experiment for all the sceptics. Mark a 4' distance out on the floor and see if you can touch the far mark with a foot while keeping your other foot behind the closest mark. Let us know how it turns out.

I'd try it but I'm afraid I'd hurt myself.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Question: did the thrower for Team A start with a step to the left?
2nd question: were the steps big or small? Small steps could easily fit in the restricted space.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I'd love to see that!

So would I as long as it it not in a men's bathroom in an Idaho airport.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Already Did ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Billy, try an experiment for all the sceptics. Mark a 4' distance out on the floor and see if you can touch the far mark with a foot while keeping your other foot behind the closest mark. Let us know how it turns out.
I already tried this before my original post, using a yardstick on the floor. It's a stretch, but I can make an uncomfortable, four foot stride. Keep in mind that I'm slightly less than six feet tall, and have the flexibility of the average 54 year old man, with arthritis, who takes two aspirin before game. Many athletes playing under NFHS rules are much taller than me, and much more flexible.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

The player took three running steps to her right and inbounded the ball. Not baby steps or bunny hops.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 07:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCott
The player took three running steps to her right and inbounded the ball. Not baby steps or bunny hops.
Then it's a violation. Period. Next subject!!!!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I already tried this before my original post, using a yardstick on the floor. It's a stretch, but I can make an uncomfortable, four foot stride. Keep in mind that I'm slightly less than six feet tall, and have the flexibility of the average 54 year old man, with arthritis, who takes two aspirin before game. Many athletes playing under NFHS rules are much taller than me, and much more flexible.
Maybe us "Utahrds" are a little behind the curve on this, but here yardsticks are only three feet long.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Maybe us "Utahrds" are a little behind the curve on this, but here yardsticks are only three feet long.
The yardstick is for measuring the designated spot -- not his stride.

Just sayin'.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The yardstick is for measuring the designated spot -- not his stride.

Just sayin'.
Oddly enough, I can picture a three foot spot much easier than his four foot stride.

I'm just sayin'
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a varsity girls coach from the big city (Madison ) tell me an opponent traveled on a throw-in on Saturday. She shuffled her feet maybe a foot to the right of her designated spot.

My faith in the knowledge of coachkind has almost completely faded.