The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Player not in Book

Had a situation on Friday where, in the third quarter, the visitors scorerkeeper informed me that a player had not been entered in the book. This player was not in the game at the time but had been previously (my partner remembered his number) but did not score and was not charged with any fouls. We did not assess a T because he was not in the game at the time and his name and number were not entered in the book when it was discovered. By the way he must have arrived after the start of the game as we did count players and checked this against the books during warmups.

Should a T have been assessed because my partner remembered him being in the game?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Had a situation on Friday where, in the third quarter, the visitors scorerkeeper informed me that a player had not been entered in the book. This player was not in the game at the time but had been previously (my partner remembered his number) but did not score and was not charged with any fouls. We did not assess a T because he was not in the game at the time and his name and number were not entered in the book when it was discovered. By the way he must have arrived after the start of the game as we did count players and checked this against the books during warmups.

Should a T have been assessed because my partner remembered him being in the game?
I am probably wrong, and I do not have my rule book at work with me to check, but off the top of my head I am not so sure about retro active T's.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

If the player had actually been in the game before, how did the scorer track that?

I'd be tempted to say that if you were certain the player had entered the game in, say, the 2nd quarter, that you need to add the player and mark his quarter played. At that point, you are requiring a change to the scorebook, which is what the technical foul is for. It is not a retroactive "T", but rather a correction of a bookkeeping error.

However, if neither the officials nor the scorer are 100% certain he has played, then I'm not directing the book be corrected and we'll correct it later in the game if need be.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Normally, when a player is not in a book it is brought to the officials attention whether quickly. If it can't be proved if he/she is not in the book by points or a foul can't penalize off the words of visitor bookkeeper.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
What was in the home book?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
What was in the home book?

The same as was in the visitor book.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

What is with all this home book/visitor book?? Maybe this is a topic all its own, but I just don't seem to understand this. For EVERY game I work, there is ONE BOOK -- The OFFICIAL SCOREBOOK -- and it is kept at the table. Yes, the home team may have a book being kept on their bench. Yes, the visitor book may have a book being kept on their bench as well. But for the purposes of keeping score, fouls, AP, etc., there is ONE official score book. So why would you even bother consulting something that is unofficial??
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
What is with all this home book/visitor book?? Maybe this is a topic all its own, but I just don't seem to understand this. For EVERY game I work, there is ONE BOOK -- The OFFICIAL SCOREBOOK -- and it is kept at the table. Yes, the home team may have a book being kept on their bench. Yes, the visitor book may have a book being kept on their bench as well. But for the purposes of keeping score, fouls, AP, etc., there is ONE official score book. So why would you even bother consulting something that is unofficial??
Actually it's not what's in the book, it's the team list as supplied prior to the 10 minute mark.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Actually it's not what's in the book, it's the team list as supplied prior to the 10 minute mark.
Exactly...and, based on my experience, that is normally the book kept on their bench. In other words, an assitant walks up and drops their scorebook on the table for the official scorer to copy into the official book. Therefore, if something in incorrect or missing, it seems perfectly acceptable to check the book on that teams bench as that is the information that was supplied. If it is correct in that book and there appears to be no tampering...I am likely to decide the official scorer simply miscopied.

Now...if there are erasures in that book where then numbers are, or if all the players are in numerical order except the player in question who appears at the bottom of the list I may question the integrity of the information. Luckily, that has never happened.