The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I have just concluded my second year as an official. The number of games nearly doubled this season from last. I'm looking forward to some Varsity action next season.

This forum has really been a big help to me. I have learned something new almost everytime I logged on. I appreciate the wisdom of you all who take the time to give advise or help us new guys understand an aspect of the game that we've not yet "mastered."

I'll keep checking in throughout the summer but my Pastoral duties will kick in full time now with spring and summer approaching. I am grateful to "devdog" for telling me about this site. It has been a great learning opportunity for me.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

You gotta keep checking in and posting. It's the only way to keep basketball alive in the offseason!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:39pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Wink

There is an offseason?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You gotta keep checking in and posting. It's the only way to keep basketball alive in the offseason!
I'll definately keep checking in. Gotta keep sharp for the test coming up this year. I'm shooting for a 100% this time.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I'll definately keep checking in. Gotta keep sharp for the test coming up this year. I'm shooting for a 100% this time.
You're going for, "Be ye perfect, even as I am perfect?" Are you a Quaker!?!?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

You're going for, "Be ye perfect, even as I am perfect?" Are you a Quaker!?!? [/B][/QUOTE]

Not a Quaker. A "Born Again, Bought by the Blood, Baptist!"
Nice job quoting scripture. I like it. I hope to achieve perfection on the next test. I have come close but didn't make it. Without a doubt, you all on this forum will help me reach that goal.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 12:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Just remember..."lay not up for yourself treasures on this earth where moth and rust doth corrupt"...(sorry, still remember all those verses in KJV)...the test is good, but experience on the court is better! Work spring and summer league games and polish up all those mechanics and coach-control techniques which will help you move to the next level!!

dj
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Just remember..."lay not up for yourself treasures on this earth where moth and rust doth corrupt"...
I had forgotten that lay-ups were mentioned in the Bible Of course, everybody knows that God is really a big baseball fan b/c "In the big inning, God created the heavens and the earth".

Quote:
(sorry, still remember all those verses in KJV)
Don't be sorry. In fact, try to forget everything you ever read in a KJV Bible. Anything that was translated before the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls is virtually useless, compared to what's available now. Study up with a New American Standard (or New International Version, if you have to).

Chuck

Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 03:55pm
Esteemed Participant

NIV baby...of course all sports are important in the Bible...as are motorcycles, since the "sound of David's Triumph was heard throughout all the land"...
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Just be glad that God didn't send the AMC Hornet to drive you from the land. See Joshua 23.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

I thought the pastoral duties were 24 and 7.

I think God could be a golf fan too. Matthew 24:28 states
Wherever the body is, there the eagles will be gathered together.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves

Without a doubt it is 24/7. Now I can make my hospital visits without my striped shirt and my whistle.

To remove all speculation, God is most definately a basketball fan. He gave specific instructions as to how to build the court in the Tabernacle.

Exodus 27:12 And for the breadth of the court on the west side shall be hangings of fifty cubits: their pillars ten, and their sockets ten.
Exodus 27:13 And the breadth of the court on the east side eastward shall be fifty cubits. KJV!!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Quote:

Without a doubt it is 24/7. Now I can make my hospital visits without my striped shirt and my whistle.

To remove all speculation, God is most definately a basketball fan. He gave specific instructions as to how to build the court in the Tabernacle.

Exodus 27:12 And for the breadth of the court on the west side shall be hangings of fifty cubits: their pillars ten, and their sockets ten.
Exodus 27:13 And the breadth of the court on the east side eastward shall be fifty cubits. KJV!!
I always just thought that meant God was a tennis fan.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obviously, God's never been part of my foursome!

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking God and golf

I hope I will not offend anyone with this joke, but I golfed avidly for a while and a friend of mine from church shared this with me.

Moses, Jesus and God are playing golf one beautiful day. They come to a long par 4 with a lake right in front of the green. Moses is up first and decides to try to muscle a driver onto the green. He rips a drive straight as an arrow, but it just doesn't have enough to make it over the lake. Splash.

His partners ask if he wants a mulligan, but Moses says, "No, I'll play it from there".

Jesus steps up and doesn't learn from Moses' tee shot. He pulls out the driver and tries to cream the ball. Again, the shot is straight, but wet. Another ball in the water.

God steps up and decides to lay up. He pulls out a 3-iron and lands his tee shot right in the middle of the fairway, leaving himself a 115 yards to the pin.

The threesome makes its way toward the next shot. Moses decides to go first (even though he's not away). He stands at the edge of the lake, lifts his arms and the water parts. He walks to his ball and hits a pretty wedge onto the green, leaving 6 feet for birdie.

Jesus goes next. He walks out onto the water, takes a wedge and splashes his ball onto the green, 15 feet from the cup.

God steps up with a 9-iron from the fairway. He lets it fly, but it's way off line to the right. It heads into the woods and hits a tree. A squirrel picks up the ball and starts running away with it when an owl swoops down and grabs the squirrel. Together they fly up and up until the squirrel finally drops the ball. It sails down toward the lake where it bounces off the shell of a turtle onto the green and rolls into the cup for a picture perfect eagle!!

Jesus turns to him and says, "Look, Dad, if you're not going to play fair. . ."

Chuck