The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Blood On Uniform/Substitution

Interesting one last night. JV Boys game, V team is out of state and coach hasn't warmed up to us. Besides the point. With 6 seconds left, V is at the line and shooting 2 FTs with his team up 1. I notice a H player with blood on his shorts. He sees it and grins like, "thought I could sneak in one more play." No problems on substitute and I tell coach, "just get a new pair of shorts." So, the sub comes in, in addition to several others from both teams, the wait 2 seconds and send in another sub. We shoot the first throw. The replaced player is a speed dresser and is back to sub in before the second throw. As I wonder what took so long for us to make a free throw, I beckon him in. Now, a guy in the stands looking like a team assistant is pointing at the player and saying something to the coach. I start thinking, "did I make a mistake?" The replaced now returned player gets the rebound after V misses both, goes down and draws the foul. We go to the line, and he drains them both, game over.

As we go back to the locker room, I say "should we have let that player return?" Legal substitution occurs when a replaced player stays out one live ball. But, do we allow an exception when it comes to blood? It wasn't an advantage to allow the player to be substituted, rather an exceptional substitution. Thoughts?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 07:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
Interesting one last night. JV Boys game, V team is out of state and coach hasn't warmed up to us. Besides the point. With 6 seconds left, V is at the line and shooting 2 FTs with his team up 1. I notice a H player with blood on his shorts. He sees it and grins like, "thought I could sneak in one more play." No problems on substitute and I tell coach, "just get a new pair of shorts." So, the sub comes in, in addition to several others from both teams, the wait 2 seconds and send in another sub. We shoot the first throw. The replaced player is a speed dresser and is back to sub in before the second throw. As I wonder what took so long for us to make a free throw, I beckon him in. Now, a guy in the stands looking like a team assistant is pointing at the player and saying something to the coach. I start thinking, "did I make a mistake?" The replaced now returned player gets the rebound after V misses both, goes down and draws the foul. We go to the line, and he drains them both, game over.

As we go back to the locker room, I say "should we have let that player return?" Legal substitution occurs when a replaced player stays out one live ball. But, do we allow an exception when it comes to blood? It wasn't an advantage to allow the player to be substituted, rather an exceptional substitution. Thoughts?

You did not do it correctly. The player who went out with blood on his shorts cannot return until the first opportunity to substitute after the clock has started.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 09:54pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Mark:

Could the team call/use a time-out in this situation to either use that special spray or arrange a change of uniform to keep the player in the game? Or can one only use a time out to keep an injured player in the game?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
1) Could the team call/use a time-out in this situation to either use that special spray or arrange a change of uniform to keep the player in the game?

2) Or can one only use a time out to keep an injured player in the game?
1)Yes

2) No