The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

"Traveling" on a throw in

I was at the OSU - Colorado men's game last night when "traveling" was called on an throw in. The OSU point guard was given the ball for a designated spot throw in and Welmer apparently felt that he left the designated spot. However, he gave the "traveling" signal to indicate the violation. What is the proper mechanic for indicating this violation?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Mechanic

Violation... Whistle, Open hand in the air, B1 receives ball at same designated spot.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc8037
Violation... Whistle, Open hand in the air, B1 receives ball at same designated spot.
1. Whistle play dead (open hand should already be up on throw in)
2. Point to line
3. Signal new direction

but please, please do not signal 'traveling'. LOL!!!
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmz17
I was at the OSU - Colorado men's game last night when "traveling" was called on an throw in. The OSU point guard was given the ball for a designated spot throw in and Welmer apparently felt that he left the designated spot. However, he gave the "traveling" signal to indicate the violation. What is the proper mechanic for indicating this violation?
Is it possible Welmer was just trying to lift up his pants very quickly with both hands simultaneously and you mistook this motion for a travelling call?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Wow, that is definately not a good thing. I see this called a travel so often on the high school level as well. A big misunderstanding of the mechanic....
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is this incorrect mechanic that leads to the myth that on a spot throw in the thrower has to plant both feet and not move them.

Just the other night I was watching the varsity game following a JV game I worked, and a fan went bananas on an official because the thrower moved her feet. His exact words (among others) was "she can't move her feet on a spot throw in. It's just like a travel!" The official laughed at him.

When the play cleared out, and considering I was standing there already, I quietly explained the rule to the unruly fan. He didn't say a word the rest of the night, and I got a Thank You from game management.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even though it is apparently the wrong mechanic, I'll bet 99% of the TV audience knew exactly what transpired. The whistle and point would have the casual viewer scratching their head. That said, the over paid announcers, you would think, should know what's going on. I shudder if it was Mike Patrick who alluded to a 5 second count in the backcourt last night in the Duke/NC game.

I wonder if Welmer consciously chose to do it?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

All levels

"Traveling' was called in the class B South Dakota Boy's semifinal game last season, with less than 15 seconds on the clock in a 2 point game. Neither coach complained, because the rule is completely misunderstood...even by state tourney refs!
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRef
"Traveling' was called in the class B South Dakota Boy's semifinal game last season, with less than 15 seconds on the clock in a 2 point game. Neither coach complained, because the rule is completely misunderstood...even by state tourney refs!

Was the game played in Fargo??

A good 12-15 years ago I was in Fargo for business and across the street from the Raddison was the 8,000 seat arena. It was right out of Hoosiers.

All white, farm boys, packed house, screaming fans and two great games. I don't think there was a player over 6'3 on all four teams. It was a magical night, one of my favorite basketball memories.

Most of the teams came from towns with 400-500 population.

Oops...........I was in North Dakota, but you get the picture.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Even though it is apparently the wrong mechanic, I'll bet 99% of the TV audience knew exactly what transpired. The whistle and point would have the casual viewer scratching their head. That said, the over paid announcers, you would think, should know what's going on. I shudder if it was Mike Patrick who alluded to a 5 second count in the backcourt last night in the Duke/NC game.

I wonder if Welmer consciously chose to do it?
The problem with using the mechanic is that 99% of the people don't actually know what happened. Most know that he violated the spot throw-in. But, many - I dare say a majority - probably believe it was for "traveling". This is why the mechanic is an issue - it causes too many untrained coaches and players to believe they have to maintain a pivot foot on a throw-in.