The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nb 888

I disagree with BITS about the 888s. I've enjoyed mine.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior
I disagree with BITS about the 888s. I've enjoyed mine.
I haven't had a decent shoe since the converse runnin' ref was discontinued.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Had nike shox last year and hated them. Went to the NB 888's this year and LOVE them. But i have a wide foot and i think that's why i like them so much better. I hit them w/ one of those shoe polish touch up sponges right before the game and it puts a nice shine on them.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Nike Air Max Solas for me. They don't make them anymore I've tracked down 6 pairs on Ebay and I keep an eye out every couple of days.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 06:41am
Huck Finn

I have the NB 888s and they are OK. I also wear all black Kobe2s that I got from Nike ID.
I don't do 3 or 4 rec games at a time and for me wearing basketball shoes work best. I also use inserts. However, if I was going to wear running shoes and the inserts weren't a problem the black Nike 360s would be my choice. If you've never tried on a pair of 360s for officiating or otherwise you owe it to your feet! The price of admission is high, but you will love the ride.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
Had nike shox last year and hated them. Went to the NB 888's this year and LOVE them. But i have a wide foot and i think that's why i like them so much better. I hit them w/ one of those shoe polish touch up sponges right before the game and it puts a nice shine on them.
I have wide as well but there are only two widths with the 888, D and 4E. I get 2E with my Asics running shoe but 4E is too wide. What width do you use?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo21
I have wide as well but there are only two widths with the 888, D and 4E. I get 2E with my Asics running shoe but 4E is too wide. What width do you use?
I use the 4E. No idea how wide my foot is. I don't feel like my foot moves around b/c they're too wide or anything though. They've held up really well too. Probably worked 60 or so games and they look brand new. Little to no wear on the bottom.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I have the NB 888s and they are OK. I also wear all black Kobe2s that I got from Nike ID.
I don't do 3 or 4 rec games at a time and for me wearing basketball shoes work best. I also use inserts. However, if I was going to wear running shoes and the inserts weren't a problem the black Nike 360s would be my choice. If you've never tried on a pair of 360s for officiating or otherwise you owe it to your feet! The price of admission is high, but you will love the ride.
I've tried the 360s but the heal is too cushie. The Solas and TL are 360 air too, but more uniform. Anyone that runs and is a bit of a heal striker in the 360s will kill your feet.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the input, fellas. I decided to take the advice of a number of you here and bought a second pair so that on back-to-back days I can rotate them with my Reeboks and allow them to air out completely.

FWIW, I went with the New Balance BB610's...found them on the web for $64.95 & free shipping.

Thanks again for all of your feedback.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:48am
(Something hilarious)

For those of you that wear the Nike 360's:
1. How do you shine them up?
2. Isn't that band of material around the base rubber?
3. Do you color in the clear parts around the side of the air soles?

I was contemplating making them my next shoes, but I need to feel good about their aesthetics before I make the purchase, and no one I know personally wears them.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
For those of you that wear the Nike 360's:
1. How do you shine them up?
2. Isn't that band of material around the base rubber?
3. Do you color in the clear parts around the side of the air soles?

I was contemplating making them my next shoes, but I need to feel good about their aesthetics before I make the purchase, and no one I know personally wears them.
Magic marker and Kiwi Brilliant Shine liquid.

Yes I colored in the clear spots.[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Here are the Solas.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Here are the Nike TLs.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
Been officiating for a couple of years now, and when I started I bought a pair of Reebok shoes. Nothing special, moderately priced. A few weeks ago I did a weekend tournament and noticed my lower back getting sore, so I bought some inserts to give me a bit more heel cushion. That took care of the sore back, but the inserts seem to have taken some balance off my arch, so now my feet get a little tired and sore after just a few games.

All that to ask the veterans here which shoes you've found to be the most comfortable for you? (Keep in mind that I'm not Bill Gates, so budget is important.) FWIW, I'm a normal sized zebra; 5'-10" and 180lbs.

Your shoe insights will be appreciated!
New Balance 610 is the only shoe I will consider. I have a rather wide foot and am built more like an NFL linebacker than your your typical basketball official. This shoe has allowed my to work without the back and knee pain I suffered with other shoes. I work an average of nearly 100 games a season, so I give my shoes a beating. They have great cushion and arch support. Futhermore, I have yet to get even a hot spot, much less a blister. You can find them for about $65 a pair if you shop.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:57pm
Huck Finn

BZ, the solas and TLs are not 360s. They are Air Max shoes.

Have you asked every "runner" that tried the 360s and are a bit of a heal striker if the 360 "killed" their feet? I know what you mean though.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
BZ, the solas and TLs are not 360s. They are Air Max shoes.

Have you asked every "runner" that tried the 360s and are a bit of a heal striker if the 360 "killed" their feet? I know what you mean though.
The Solas and TL have 360 air, they began the 360 style for Nike.

Here are the Solas bare.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

They have the air chambers heal to toe, the TLs have the same sole.