The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Do I Give Credit To ??

Varsity girls prep schol game today. New scoreboard, being used for the first time today. Late in the first half, prep schools in Connecticut play by hybrid NFHS-NCAA rules, a held ball is called. On our local board, we are required to keep a whistle, or coin, in our pocket to keep track of the possession arrow, so Forum members, please don't go off on a tangent on how this is a waste of time, because we are required to do this. My partner and I both have Blue ball. The White coach points to the scoreboard and says it should be White ball. I get together with my partner, go over the few held balls that we had in the game so far, and we agree with each other, that it should be Blue ball, our original call. White coach continues to complain, so I infom him that we have been keeping track of the arrow on our own, we both agree that it is Blue ball, and that not only is the arrow on the scoreboard incorrect, it's inconsequenstial, because an '"official" arrow must be kept at the table, which it wasn't, so I had the scorekeeper use a pen at the table to point the alternating possession for the rest of the game.

As a final reply to the White coach, I say, "Coach, that's the best we can do. If we're wrong, we apoligize. We'll be sure that you get two of the next three arrows". He laughs, his girls laugh, the crew at the table laugh. I first read about this "joke" on the Forum. Whoever came up with this. Thanks.

OK. Who's going to take credit for inventing this "two out of three" reply.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 05:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
we both agree that it is Blue ball, and that not only is the arrow on the scoreboard incorrect, it's inconsequenstial, because an '"official" arrow must be kept at the table, which it wasn't, so I had the scorekeeper use a pen at the table to point the alternating possession for the rest of the game.
We instruct our officials not to start a game without a visible arrow of some kind at the table. If you have to make something up, do so. That helps stop situations like this. The scorer still might make a mistake, but at least you have a reference.

We also tell our officials to remind the scorer(s) pre-game to keep track of the held balls, as required under the rules.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
We instruct our officials not to start a game without a visible arrow of some kind at the table. If you have to make something up, do so. That helps stop situations like this. The scorer still might make a mistake, but at least you have a reference.

We also tell our officials to remind the scorer(s) pre-game to keep track of the held balls, as required under the rules.
And if an arrow is not available; use a bottle of water as the arrow
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 05:47pm
We don't rent pigs

No matter where the "official" arrow is or isn't, how does an official overrule the scorer on which way the arrow should be pointed. 2-11-7: The scorer shall record the jump balls......and be responsible for the possession arrow.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 06:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
At the 8th grade, MS, and rec level where I do most of my reffing, if I relied on the table I'd be in a world of hurt! It's so good to have competent people working the table and when I get one - like several times today, for me, it's refreshing!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 06:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
OK. Who's going to take credit for inventing this "two out of three" reply.
I nearly peed myself laughing when I first read it here. Give Mark credit, perhaps Bhuck Elics.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 06:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I nearly peed myself laughing when I first read it here. Give Mark credit, perhaps Bhuck Elics.

Yeah, it was me. If the coach complains about getting the next two out of three, I then tell him he can have the next three out of five.

In fact, I used this is a rec game this morning.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 09:19pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
No matter where the "official" arrow is or isn't, how does an official overrule the scorer on which way the arrow should be pointed. 2-11-7: The scorer shall record the jump balls......and be responsible for the possession arrow.
Fine and dandy for HS and above, but for MS and CYO where scorers are volunteer parents and kids, I bet if you asked them who they had in the book for the next posession, they wouldn't be able to say since they don't track it. Then what do you do?

Me, I can fit 22 AP situations across one of my game sheets, so pre-game, I'll put abbreviations such as "W B W B ..." across the bottom. I'll circle the team with the first possession and record the # who won the tap and then slash out all AP situations with the time except for quarter throw-ins (those get circled with the quarter number).

I use the two out of the next three line any chance I get, too.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 10:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

My tangent detector just went DING DING DING. Better re-read the initial post.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 10:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
My tangent detector just went DING DING DING. Better re-read the initial post.

I wasn't necessarily referring to the initial post, but if I am not mistaken I have heard others refer to keeping up with it, and overruling the arrow when necessary.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 02:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've overruled the table on this. I've had cases where the table has obviuosly missed one, because they're wanting to give it to the team who just got it. Just had it today, actually.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 02:08am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I've overruled the table on this. I've had cases where the table has obviuosly missed one, because they're wanting to give it to the team who just got it. Just had it today, actually.
I've questioned the table many times. "Hey, we just had one going that way."
It has never failed to work out. "Oh, yeah, forgot to change it." "Oh, didn't see the signal on that last play." etc. But, I'm asking, if you keep up with it the whole game by changing the item in the pocket or whatever, and it comes to pass that you have one thing and the scorer has the other, and the scorer won't back down, what do you do then?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 02:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

First of all, my pockets are empty when I ref.
Second, if I'm abolutely positive the scorer is wrong, I'm giving it to the team who is entitled to it. I'm not getting into a pi$sing match with the table. I'm putting the ball in play and we're moving on with the game.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 12:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
But, I'm asking, if you keep up with it the whole game by changing the item in the pocket or whatever
I use a ChapStick in my pockets to keep track of possession. I used to use a Hickory Farms beef stick, but I noticed that sometimes female coaches would see it and drool.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I use a ChapStick in my pockets to keep track of possession. I used to use a Hickory Farms beef stick, but I noticed that sometimes female coaches would see it and drool.
The BS detector is screaming right about now. Back when you were keeping a Hickory Farms beef stick in your pocket, there were no female coaches, players refs or anyone else. The few moms who came to your games back then weren't drooling, they were throwing up!