View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Do I Give Credit To ??

Varsity girls prep schol game today. New scoreboard, being used for the first time today. Late in the first half, prep schools in Connecticut play by hybrid NFHS-NCAA rules, a held ball is called. On our local board, we are required to keep a whistle, or coin, in our pocket to keep track of the possession arrow, so Forum members, please don't go off on a tangent on how this is a waste of time, because we are required to do this. My partner and I both have Blue ball. The White coach points to the scoreboard and says it should be White ball. I get together with my partner, go over the few held balls that we had in the game so far, and we agree with each other, that it should be Blue ball, our original call. White coach continues to complain, so I infom him that we have been keeping track of the arrow on our own, we both agree that it is Blue ball, and that not only is the arrow on the scoreboard incorrect, it's inconsequenstial, because an '"official" arrow must be kept at the table, which it wasn't, so I had the scorekeeper use a pen at the table to point the alternating possession for the rest of the game.

As a final reply to the White coach, I say, "Coach, that's the best we can do. If we're wrong, we apoligize. We'll be sure that you get two of the next three arrows". He laughs, his girls laugh, the crew at the table laugh. I first read about this "joke" on the Forum. Whoever came up with this. Thanks.

OK. Who's going to take credit for inventing this "two out of three" reply.