The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Development League

I just heard of the NBA's development league today for the first time. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where they pool their officials from or has any information on officials in the NBA D-league.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Nbdl

The National Basketball Developmental League (NBDL) is the minor league where aspiring professional players and officials develop their skills who hope for a call up to the big-time/NBA. Former NBA official, George Toliver, oversees the NBDL officiating staff. The NBDL held a tryout camp for officials last year in Texas and I believe will do so again this summer. There was a story in late 2007 about last years camp in the Referee Magazine.

To get into the camp, you probably need to be seen by the right people like Dick Bowie in Southeastern Virginia. If you ref college ball-that would be good. You can find a list of NBDL officials in Referee Magazine and where they reside.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian
I just heard of the NBA's development league today for the first time. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where they pool their officials from or has any information on officials in the NBA D-league.

Brian they don't pool their officials from anywhere. They reside anywhere from Long Beach, California to Richmond, VA. They don't care where you live as long as they believe you have potential and believe you can be taught the game.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Brian they don't pool their officials from anywhere. They reside anywhere from Long Beach, California to Richmond, VA. They don't care where you live as long as they believe you have potential and believe you can be taught the game.
That is a true statement. A friend of mine got picked up last year and he is all over the place now doing D-League games.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't really concerned with their geographical location of where they came from, but more of how people get hired to work the NBA-D league.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I wasn't really concerned with their geographical location of where they came from, but more of how people get hired to work the NBA-D league.
You get hired by attending their camps, working pro-am leagues across the country and being recommended or observed by the right people. Then if you if asked you do what they suggest and you can work the league. They do not just pick guys off the street or HS only officials that have never attended a camp or have never been seen in their system.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
They do not just pick guys off the street or HS only officials that have never attended a camp or have never been seen in their system.
You're missing the obvious exception: Jon Diebler.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then I would suggest working some pro-ams or going to a coast to coast camp or George Toliver's Pro-Active camp