The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Friday night boys varsity game tie score with 9 seconds left. Team B shooting double bonus Team A player walks right in front of me I am the trail official and tells his teamate to box out. Just as he turns to walk away my partner the lead, administers the first free throw. As soon as the player shoots and misses the freethrow the team B
coach starts screaming "thats a lane violation you have to call that. technically
he is right. but would you call that to decide such a well played close game. The shooter also missed the second freethrow and we went into overtime.What would you call?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by D.Hosler on 02-07-2000 09:28 PM
I would have blown the whistle before the shooter made the attempt and started over when all the players were in the proper position. Sound fair?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Talking

If the player did not have the ball in his hands then there was no violation, if the ball was in the hands of the shooter then their was a violation.
If there was a violation it should have been called, it took place right out in front of GOD and everybody and would have been a "no brainer" and no coach could have argued that one.
Good luck

------------------
Don
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:26pm
PDLeBoutillier

Not trying to be critical, but your question was not real descriptive.

Was the player who moved to inform his team mate lined up along the lane or was he standing back behind the FT line extended? Did the official hand the ball to the thrower before players were properly set?

I read and re-read your post and had the hardest time creating a clear picture of the event. Sorry!
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry about that the player was out of the key in backcourt. He was actually about free throw line extended when the shooter recieved the ball. hope that clears it up a little bit.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Jim has it correct. Stop play. Even if you don't blow whistle(probably don't have whistle in your month) step in and stop play. the last two things the lead should do is check the table for subs and check for violations to prevent. the other two officials should always be ready to stop play. having said that, yes you should call a violation.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by D.Hosler on 02-07-2000 09:28 PM
Just as he turns to walk away my partner the lead, administers the first free throw.

The Lead official was too quick to administer the free throw. Sounds like he should have been able to see the player who was not in proper position, so he should have waited. If he bounced the ball to the shooter anyway, he should have THEN realized not everyone was set, and gotten the ball back. Either way, it was more the Lead's responsibility than the player's for what happened. You wouldn't want to affect the game with THAT kind of violation.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 05:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

quote:
Originally posted by D.Hosler on 02-07-2000 10:46 PM
Sorry about that the player was out of the key in backcourt. He was actually about free throw line extended when the shooter recieved the ball. hope that clears it up a little bit.

Wait a minute. If he was originally "out of the key in backcourt" then moved "about free throw line extended" but always stayed outside the 3-point line and above the free throw line extended - he never violated. Please be more specific. Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 08:04pm
PDLeBoutillier

Question

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 02-08-2000 04:47 PM

Wait a minute. If he was originally "out of the key in backcourt" then moved "about free throw line extended" but always stayed outside the 3-point line and above the free throw line extended - he never violated. Please be more specific. Thanks.

My thoughts exactly. Where exactly was the violation?

Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

the player actually came in all the way to the last block on the lane.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

If he moved into the last spot on the lane after the thrower had the ball, It' a violation, without a doubt. If you pass on it, the free thrower's team is at a disadvantage because of an official's wrong call.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 06:46pm
In Memoriam

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by D.Hosler on 02-07-2000 09:28 PM
Friday night boys varsity game tie score with 9 seconds left. Team B shooting double bonus Team A player walks right in front of me I am the trail official and tells his teamate to box out. Just as he turns to walk away my partner the lead, administers the first free throw. As soon as the player shoots and misses the freethrow the team B
coach starts screaming "thats a lane violation you have to call that. technically
he is right. but would you call that to decide such a well played close game. The shooter also missed the second freethrow and we went into overtime.What would you call?

IMHO, some of the worst and hardest to explain screw-ups are when we officials don't look or count before we administer the ball. That, too, is game management.