The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

opposing bench yelling during free throws

Girls MS 7th grade game. During 1st half home team shooting free throws in front of VIS bench, VIS team members on bench would squeal and screem. This was very unsporting in my and my partners opinion. Is this something that could be considered disconcerting the free thrower? We treated it as it was. Did we stretch the rule? I'll hang up and listen.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Some would say overly officious and girls will be girls. If it works for you, then so be it.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 08:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I believe the rule states "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." An opponent is any participant of the opposing team - to include the bench.

Now, at what level do you just talk to the coach and is it bad enough for you to call it vice just letting it go.....that's another story..... At the younger levels I've talked to the coach before - never called it myself.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 08:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
Girls MS 7th grade game. During 1st half home team shooting free throws in front of VIS bench, VIS team members on bench would squeal and screem. This was very unsporting in my and my partners opinion.
If you felt that the bench was disconcerting the FT shooter, you can call the violation on them if the FT is missed. If you also felt that the disconcertion was unsporting, you can call an unsporting technical foul on the bench in addition. Always a judgment call. Handle with care.

Girls MS? Not a bad idea imo to mention to the coach that it might be a good idea if his bench kept quiet during their opponent's FT's.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
Girls MS 7th grade game. During 1st half home team shooting free throws in front of VIS bench, VIS team members on bench would squeal and screem. This was very unsporting in my and my partners opinion. Is this something that could be considered disconcerting the free thrower? We treated it as it was. Did we stretch the rule? I'll hang up and listen.

It is always (with apologies to J. Dallas Shirley) disconcerting (free throw violation) at the least and unsportsmanlike (technical foul) at the worst. There is no inbetween. You have one or the other.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 05:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
It is always (with apologies to J. Dallas Shirley) disconcerting (free throw violation) at the least and unsportsmanlike (technical foul) at the worst. There is no inbetween. You have one or the other.

MTD, Sr.
Hit the attic. Pull out the 2001-02 rulebook. Look up POE 2 and then admit you're wrong.

POE #2: Disconcertion During Free Throws
Some states have indicated a growing concern with the free throw shooter being disconcerted by a defensive player. Disconcertion may occur through hand and arm movements and verbal outbursts during the attempt. The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation (9-1-5) and may result in a substitute throw. If persistent or deemed unsporting, the TEAM/player may be penalized with a technical foul.

You can call both if the official deems that the disconcertion is also unsporting in nature. If it's on the bench, it's a team technical foul.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hit the attic. Pull out the 2001-02 rulebook. Look up POE 2 and then admit you're wrong.

Some states have indicated a growing concern with the free throw shooter being disconcerted by a defensive player. Disconcertion may occur through hand and arm movements and verbal outbursts during the attempt. The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation (9-1-5) and may result in a substitute throw. If persistent or deemed unsporting, the TEAM/player may be penalized with a technical foul.

You can call both if the official deems that the disconcertion is also unsporting in nature. If it's on the bench, it's a team technical foul.
I believe that with that team tech comes an indirect to the coach and a seatbelt. Right?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
I believe that with that team tech comes an indirect to the coach and a seatbelt. Right?
Correct, using the rationale of case book play 10.4.1SitD.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

JR:

Where does my post disagree with the 2001-02 POE? I said at the least it is a violation and and the worst it is an unsportsmanlike techincal foul and that is what I said in my post; my post is based upon the POE. I don't disagree with the POE at all. What I have stated in past threads on this particular type of conduct is that it is my humble opinion that disconcertion can only be committed by players on the court and if the same actions are committed by bench personel it is a unsportsmanlike technical foul. But there has never a ruling from the NFHS or NCAA addressing this play directly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Disconcertion by a coach

Had a MS game. In first half while A1 is shooting 2 freethrows. After 1st throw, coach for team B starts yelling "he stepped on the line." I was trail and could clearly see that he was not even close. So, I could only presume that the coach was trying to get in the shooters head.

I could have T'd him, but instead walked over and told him never to do that again. He didn't.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Opponents ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
JR:It is my humble opinion that disconcertion can only be committed by players on the court and if the same actions are committed by bench personel it is a unsportsmanlike technical foul. But there has never a ruling from the NFHS addressing this play directly.MTD, Sr.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: I don't think we need a "ruling" from the NFHS for this act because there's already a "rule", opponents may not disconcert the free thrower, and if it happens, it's a violation, reshoot. However, I agree that this act, at it's worst, may indeed fall under the unsporting conduct technical foul rule. Also, I'm not familiar with NCAA rules.