View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hit the attic. Pull out the 2001-02 rulebook. Look up POE 2 and then admit you're wrong.

POE #2: Disconcertion During Free Throws
Some states have indicated a growing concern with the free throw shooter being disconcerted by a defensive player. Disconcertion may occur through hand and arm movements and verbal outbursts during the attempt. The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation (9-1-5) and may result in a substitute throw. If persistent or deemed unsporting, the TEAM/player may be penalized with a technical foul.

You can call both if the official deems that the disconcertion is also unsporting in nature. If it's on the bench, it's a team technical foul.

JR:

Where does my post disagree with the 2001-02 POE? I said at the least it is a violation and and the worst it is an unsportsmanlike techincal foul and that is what I said in my post; my post is based upon the POE. I don't disagree with the POE at all. What I have stated in past threads on this particular type of conduct is that it is my humble opinion that disconcertion can only be committed by players on the court and if the same actions are committed by bench personel it is a unsportsmanlike technical foul. But there has never a ruling from the NFHS or NCAA addressing this play directly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio