The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Insurance TV commercial (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42983-insurance-tv-commercial.html)

fullor30 Sun Mar 23, 2008 09:14pm

Insurance TV commercial

Anyone see the ,I believe, a State Farm ad during the NCAA's where a ref pops in the scene wearing a byron collar and a white T shirt? Must have been a French director. Pretty bad.

TRef21 Sun Mar 23, 2008 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Anyone see the ,I believe, a State Farm ad during the NCAA's where a ref pops in the scene wearing a byron collar and a white T shirt? Must have been a French director. Pretty bad.

Yup!!! Shows how much they keep up with officiating. They portray us wrong and make fun us and think they all the freaking rules!!!

Mark Padgett Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:02pm

Dude - I already mentioned it in the sticky thread. They've been showing it during the games. How tacky! I think there's also a Chevron commercial that shows the same style shirt on an official, but it's so quick I can't be sure.

Don't these guys do any research? :confused:

tjones1 Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07pm

...and a metal whistle.

XRFan Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:22pm

The Ad people aren't as stupid as you think. People still identify with the old style refs attire. Happens in all the different industries they portray. Gotta get the most bang for their buck. And only at the expense of a few refs thinking they are stupid..

Adam Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by XRFan
The Ad people aren't as stupid as you think. People still identify with the old style refs attire. Happens in all the different industries they portray. Gotta get the most bang for their buck. And only at the expense of a few refs thinking they are stupid..

Wrong. They could put a freaking footlocker shirt on, and most fans wouldn't notice. It takes about 10 seconds of paying attention to a game to see what they're wearing. They're not stupid, they're just not thorough.

I get the same feeling when I see Air Force stuff portrayed incorrectly (uniforms worn wrong, for example).

I take it back, it is stupid. They're not gaining a damn thing by using the old style shirts, but they're making themselves look stupid to the thousands of referees who know better.

fullor30 Mon Mar 24, 2008 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Wrong. They could put a freaking footlocker shirt on, and most fans wouldn't notice. It takes about 10 seconds of paying attention to a game to see what they're wearing. They're not stupid, they're just not thorough.

I get the same feeling when I see Air Force stuff portrayed incorrectly (uniforms worn wrong, for example).

I take it back, it is stupid. They're not gaining a damn thing by using the old style shirts, but they're making themselves look stupid to the thousands of referees who know better.

Think of the target audience they are trying to reach.........basketball fans

it's very, very stupid. Even the casual basketball fan can discern the mistakes. A white T shirt?, metal whistle?

It takes away from the ad's message, and the product loses credibility. Extremely stupid.

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36am

Quote:

My auto and home insurance is due to renew next month and I have now taken State Farm off my list of possible carriers. If they're that dumb, I don't want to do business with them.

fullor30 Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
My auto and home insurance is due to renew next month and I have now taken State Farm off my list of possible carriers. If they're that dumb, I don't want to do business with them.

Would you reconsider?

http://www.teamsportswear.com/Products/9530.image.jpg

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 24, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30

Man - I'd take a rider on that policy anytime! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/woot.gif

BillyMac Mon Mar 24, 2008 06:59pm

From Old Post, But On Topic ...

I was putting a box of DiGiornos Frozen Pizza in the freezer when I happened to spot a photo of a "referee" on the back of the box. DiGiornos is having a contest to win tickets to the NCAA Final four in 2009.

This "referee" is blowing a metal whistle, on a yellow lanyard. He's wearing a collared jersey, a rather large watch, what appears to be, a wedding band, on his right hand, and belted pants.

I know that I'm being picky. DiGiornos is good at making pizza, not at officiating NCAA basketball games, but, this is a multi-plus-million dollar company, that probably has a multimillion dollar advertising budget. You would think that someone at DiGiornos, or at their marketing company, would let a real official look at the photo before putting the photo on millions of boxes of pizza.

XRFan Mon Mar 24, 2008 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Ok I didn't want to say what really goes on.

they are on a low budget so they go in the wardrobe and find a ref uniform from the last time someone did a ref commercial. Happens to be a little old fashioned but they think what the heck, the only people that know the difference are refs, and they won't notice cause they cant see very good anyway.
:p

BillyMac Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:01pm

Officials Can't See Very Good Anyway ...

Quote:

The only people that know the difference are refs, and they won't notice cause they cant see very good anyway.

http://www.timmyherman.org/images/referee_blind_ani.gif

fullor30 Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:05pm

Quote:

Ok I didn't want to say what really goes on.

they are on a low budget so they go in the wardrobe and find a ref uniform from the last time someone did a ref commercial. Happens to be a little old fashioned but they think what the heck, the only people that know the difference are refs, and they won't notice cause they cant see very good anyway.

Anyone that advertises during the final four ain't on no low budget.

Reminds me of Field of Dreams movie. The Kevin Costner character asks his father if he wants a 'catch'. Maybe in New Jersey or New York they say let's have have a catch..........not in Dyersville, Iowa.