The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a Budweiser commercial while watching the NFL yesterday. Not being a football official, but having officiated other sports, I thought it was a little offensive. Wondering what the football guys think. Here's what happened:

The commercial starts by showing the officials in a conference after a flag has been thrown. The referee breaks from the conference, turns on his mike and announces a penalty, I don't remember what, specifically. After he is finished, he turns as if to resume the game, but hesitates. He turns back to the camera, turns his mike back on and says, "Remember that pass interference call we blew last quarter? Consider this call a make up for that!" Then it faded to black and the "Budweiser - True" logo was displayed.

What do you all think?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down I think it sux...

Lousy commercial, just like their !@#$ing beer.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

What channel was it on. I would love to see it. You should see some of the commercials we get here in Canada, beer always provides entertainment.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the commercial and it sure didn't help the reputation for officials. Neither did the first few minutes of the Packer game. In the first six minutes, two calls were overruled. I sure could see the ref's first game as a ref in the NFL had its effects on the crew. I certainly don't blame them; I know I would have been as nervous as anyone. After that start, though, they settled in and did a nice job. Funny, but now I watch games on Sunday to see the officials, not only the teams.

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I saw it and it sucked. I never cared for Bud to begin with but I think I have bought my last one from them.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
Lighten Up

I have seen the commercial. No offense taken. Lighten up a little-it never hurts to laugh at ourselves a little. What we do is way too important to be taken that seriously.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tom. We need to have a sense of humor about our position. We are not perfect and I think its funny to see a ref admit that in a commercial. Especially in the way this one portrays it.

You know, everyone in our society is just way to sensitive about everything. I think as a society we all need to tone down this politically correct garbage and get back to communicating honestly...even if that means we might "offend" someone.

Just my two cents...
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Smile Bud commercials

I've seen that one, and they have another one where an official, after a measurement, explains that spotting the ball is an inexact science, and implies that they spotted it closer to the front stake because that's more dramatic.

I think I'll be sticking with Bass Ale.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I saw the measurment one.

This just shows how little of a sense of humor many have. I found the commercial halarious. But I saw the one about the "measurement" not the one originally listed in this post. It was as funny as the Motel 6 Commercial, where the official missed his coffee, trying to pour the sugar. We need to have a sense of humor about these things. Those Bud Commercials are poking fun at everyone.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 02:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

And look at it this way:

On first down we line up the chains from up dozens of yards away. We spot second and third downs by eye, with the umpire lining up the wings spot and placing the ball. All a very inexact science.

Then, when a single play leaves us close we spot the ball -- then the referee tries to discern between getting the first down and coming up short -- and if it's really close, the white hat pulls out his game card to check if the ball is short.

The whole process is absurd if you think about it long enough. If that's what the commercial is about, then GOOD. I'd laugh, too.

Rich
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Was awaitin'

Hey fella's,

I was waiting on this one. I too, have seen both commercials. And I thought they were both hysterical!

I agree with JRut. We need to be able to laugh at ourselves. I can't stand Bud, but love the commercials. People perceive that we make makeup calls, even though we know we don't.

Wouldn't it be great to do that one time!! Or on the mic say (while waving off a flag), "There is no foul on the play. The action was legal since the coach has been on my butt from the beginning of the game and we just wanna stick it to him...."

Still hysterical...
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schultj
I saw the commercial and it sure didn't help the reputation for officials. Neither did the first few minutes of the Packer game. In the first six minutes, two calls were overruled. I sure could see the ref's first game as a ref in the NFL had its effects on the crew. I certainly don't blame them; I know I would have been as nervous as anyone. After that start, though, they settled in and did a nice job. Funny, but now I watch games on Sunday to see the officials, not only the teams.
The white hat on that game was Peter Morelli. It was his first regular season game. I think his crew did a great job. I was impressed with the close goaline play and how they came together to discuss a play and GET IT RIGHT!

congrats to Pete and his crew on this first regular season game.. I hope to see him still working in January!

David
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I really hope you guys are not seriously offended by these commercials. These commercials are suppose to appeal to the fans. How many times have you heard in the stands "that was a makeup call!"? Heck, sometimes I am even thinking the same thing, knowing in my true official's gut that it wasn't. The one JRut mentioned about the Motel 6 commercial still makes me laugh. If my opinion counts for anything, I believe many of us should spend more time in the rule book than getting offended by beer commercials.

Heres to everyone hoping you have great games this weekend.

Tbone
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Correction Tbone

I prefer it this way, "Many of us should spend more time drinking beer than getting offended by the rule book."
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Attemi - Agreed!!! - nm

n