The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

First T's this season

I usually don't have to use the T in the games I work (B & G 5th-8th grade) usually a polite reminder or a stern warning is enough to remind the coach's where the line is. But this weekend I gave out 2 in 6 games...

First was in a Girls 6th grade game...3 coaches for the Visitors. On the second whistle of the game all 3 chime in with their own variation of complaint. I administered the ensuing throw-in in front of their bench and politely told the head coach that I wasn't going to listen to complaints the whole game, but I would listen to any reasonable question he might have. Later in 1st half V assistant coach starts loudly counting out the 10 sec. count "8, 9, 10." I was the L (right in front of V's bench) and as soon as he got to 10 I blew the whistle signaled the "T" and reported it. I informed the HC that he was to remain seated, and the rest of the game was easy.

2nd was 6th grade Boys game. Immediately after the toss I noticed that a 2nd parent from V team came down to the table to assist the V scorer. I think, "no problem" nothing wrong with more help. On the first foul call of the game this parent makes a comment about the call (nothing bad...stuff you would ignore from stands). I report then move close to table and say to parent, "You need to make a decision...are you going to stay here (at table) and help score, or are you going to sit there (point to stands) and complain about calls?" He apologized and said he would stay where he was. Then V HC says, "Can I complain about that call?" So I looked right at him (should have puked on his shoes) and said, "No." and walked back to position. Later in half same coach is apparently unhappy with what he thinks are missed calls, but hasn't said or done anything except to mutter to himself, until I call a foul on H1 in V's backcourt at which point he steps right behind my partner, who is in front of V's bench and sarcastically claps right behind his head. No brainer I blow the whistle and signal the T.

Here's where I got frustrated...I report the T and the V HC says, "What I can't clap?" I said, "Coach, let's be adults for a second we both know what you were doing, now please take a seat you've lost the coach's box for the rest of the game.

I couldn't believe he tried to pull a line like that. The 9th graders I teach try (unsuccessfully) to use lines like that. These are the people teaching 6th graders how to play and act in the game of basketball????
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

BJV game, I've already warned the HC about his assistant's "help" with the officiating. 2nd quarter the assistant makes a rather loud complaint about what he thought was a missed foul call. I reward him with the T.

I report to the table, "Technical foul on the home team assistant coach, indirect on the head coach." HC is right there and asks in a rather unhappy tone of voice, "Which assistant coach? They don't have numbers. They're not listed in the book. Which one is it?"

What on earth is that about? What does he think, that I'm going to turn back at that point and say, "Oh yeah. You're right coach. Let's just forget it." Coaches can be such complete idiots when they think they're "working" the refs.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

It seems to me that this time of year, every season, sportsmanship goes to crap for a week or so. The teams that are playing well are trying to win conference titles and such, the teams that are losing are tired of losing. We get tired of listening to the same bs. My V crew had 3 T's in a double header friday night (one for each) and a student section talked to. Saturday we had a fan talked to at halftime of a V game. Anyone else notice a decline in tolerance and/or sportsmanship this time of year.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

No doubt, Junker. You have conference races coming to a head, some teams that are out of the running for postseason, others that are on the edge, and the good teams looking to position themselves well.

Add to that the little built up frustrations throughout the year with the increased pressure and you get much shorter fuses all around.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
No doubt, Junker. You have conference races coming to a head, some teams that are out of the running for postseason, others that are on the edge, and the good teams looking to position themselves well.

Add to that the little built up frustrations throughout the year with the increased pressure and you get much shorter fuses all around.
And the genius I am, I have 4 out of the 5 non-varsity games I'm doing this season over the next two weeks. That doesn't usually help me become more patient.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
BJV game, I've already warned the HC about his assistant's "help" with the officiating. 2nd quarter the assistant makes a rather loud complaint about what he thought was a missed foul call. I reward him with the T.

I report to the table, "Technical foul on the home team assistant coach, indirect on the head coach." HC is right there and asks in a rather unhappy tone of voice, "Which assistant coach? They don't have numbers. They're not listed in the book. Which one is it?"

What on earth is that about? What does he think, that I'm going to turn back at that point and say, "Oh yeah. You're right coach. Let's just forget it." Coaches can be such complete idiots when they think they're "working" the refs.
Just tell him it's a bench technical - comment came from your bench.

then, if he askes who in particular made the comment and you can't resist from answering - just tell him that he should know - he is supposed to be in control of his bench which is why he also got the indirect and lost coaching box privledges

Then puke on his shoes!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui

then, if he askes who in particular made the comment and you can't resist from answering - just tell him that he should know - he is supposed to be in control of his bench which is why he also got the indirect and lost coaching box privledges

Then puke on his shoes!
I like. Then can I give another team T for not having the court ready to play because of the mess surrounding his shoes?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui

Then puke on his shoes!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I like. Then can I give another team T for not having the court ready to play because of the mess surrounding his shoes?
Make sure you record a warning first. You can't throw the T until the second time you puke on their shoes.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Make sure you record a warning first. You can't throw the T until the second time you puke on their shoes.
Good catch.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Guys - you're all forgetting that before you can puke on his shoes, you have to stare at his pants. Haven't I taught you anything?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
It seems to me that this time of year, every season, sportsmanship goes to crap for a week or so. The teams that are playing well are trying to win conference titles and such, the teams that are losing are tired of losing. We get tired of listening to the same bs. My V crew had 3 T's in a double header friday night (one for each) and a student section talked to. Saturday we had a fan talked to at halftime of a V game. Anyone else notice a decline in tolerance and/or sportsmanship this time of year.
Oh, yea. It's definitely crunch time. Us refs can get testy this time of year too. Seeing the end of the season coming, being a little tired. And some of us are feeling a little crunched by now too, having been passed over or disappointed with regard to post-season assignments. It's definitely a good time for everyone to spend a few extra seconds before every game working on the old positive attitude. This is a great time of year to be on a leave of absence!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
It seems to me that this time of year, every season, sportsmanship goes to crap for a week or so.
Really? I thought it began with the tipoff at the first game and didn't end until the season was over and I was back in bed watching Leno.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've definitely noticed a rising intolerance on the part of participants/coaches/fans but also had a great experience of two coaches maturing too. Both are 7th grade coaches, both were screamers at the beginning of the season (one followed my partner and I to the locker room after the game and yelled at us through the door – yes, we reported her to our association). I've done several of their early season games and had the "Coach, you're not going to yell at us but you can ask a question" speech with them both.

I was calling a couple of late-season games and both had markedly improved their demeanor and interaction with the officials. Not coincidently, their teams had also improved. I thought that was pretty neat and a bright spot in an otherwise darkening sky of late-season meanness.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Postseason Hopes ???

From Junker: It seems to me that this time of year, every season, sportsmanship goes to crap for a week or so. The teams that are playing well are trying to win conference titles and such, the teams that are losing are tired of losing.

From jdw3018: You have conference races coming to a head, some teams that are out of the running for postseason, others that are on the edge, and the good teams looking to position themselves well. Add to that the little built up frustrations throughout the year with the increased pressure and you get much shorter fuses all around.

You're both absolutely on target. I' msure that we will be reminded of this at our monthly meeting this coming Sunday. Here in Connecticut, teams must win 40% of their games, usually eight wins, to make the state tournament . You can tell right away, from some coachs' bench decorum, which teams have six, or seven ,wins.