View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

First T's this season

I usually don't have to use the T in the games I work (B & G 5th-8th grade) usually a polite reminder or a stern warning is enough to remind the coach's where the line is. But this weekend I gave out 2 in 6 games...

First was in a Girls 6th grade game...3 coaches for the Visitors. On the second whistle of the game all 3 chime in with their own variation of complaint. I administered the ensuing throw-in in front of their bench and politely told the head coach that I wasn't going to listen to complaints the whole game, but I would listen to any reasonable question he might have. Later in 1st half V assistant coach starts loudly counting out the 10 sec. count "8, 9, 10." I was the L (right in front of V's bench) and as soon as he got to 10 I blew the whistle signaled the "T" and reported it. I informed the HC that he was to remain seated, and the rest of the game was easy.

2nd was 6th grade Boys game. Immediately after the toss I noticed that a 2nd parent from V team came down to the table to assist the V scorer. I think, "no problem" nothing wrong with more help. On the first foul call of the game this parent makes a comment about the call (nothing bad...stuff you would ignore from stands). I report then move close to table and say to parent, "You need to make a decision...are you going to stay here (at table) and help score, or are you going to sit there (point to stands) and complain about calls?" He apologized and said he would stay where he was. Then V HC says, "Can I complain about that call?" So I looked right at him (should have puked on his shoes) and said, "No." and walked back to position. Later in half same coach is apparently unhappy with what he thinks are missed calls, but hasn't said or done anything except to mutter to himself, until I call a foul on H1 in V's backcourt at which point he steps right behind my partner, who is in front of V's bench and sarcastically claps right behind his head. No brainer I blow the whistle and signal the T.

Here's where I got frustrated...I report the T and the V HC says, "What I can't clap?" I said, "Coach, let's be adults for a second we both know what you were doing, now please take a seat you've lost the coach's box for the rest of the game.

I couldn't believe he tried to pull a line like that. The 9th graders I teach try (unsuccessfully) to use lines like that. These are the people teaching 6th graders how to play and act in the game of basketball????