The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle (NCAA)

Last night's mens' game, Oregon vs USC. Jump ball to start overtime. Ball goes to Oregon player, who takes maybe a dribble or two and the shot clock horn goes off. Ball goes to USC. One explanation is that we have an inadvertent stop of play, and we go with the possession arrow.

Would this be the correct way to handle the situation?

I guess it is justice, since Oregon was at home.

Sit 2: At our home high school games it isn't uncommon to have a school bell (which sounds just a bit like a game horn) ring about 2-3 minutes into the third quarter of the jv girls' game. We try to warn people of the situation, but not everyone gets the message. Sometimes visitors stop play in confusion. When possible officials get the girls to play on. Sometimes they find it necessary to blow the whistle and give it out of bounds to the team that had possession. That works for me. Is it according to the rules?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overnbach
Last night's mens' game, Oregon vs USC. Jump ball to start overtime. Ball goes to Oregon player, who takes maybe a dribble or two and the shot clock horn goes off. Ball goes to USC. One explanation is that we have an inadvertent stop of play, and we go with the possession arrow.

Would this be the correct way to handle the situation?

I guess it is justice, since Oregon was at home.

Sit 2: At our home high school games it isn't uncommon to have a school bell (which sounds just a bit like a game horn) ring about 2-3 minutes into the third quarter of the jv girls' game. We try to warn people of the situation, but not everyone gets the message. Sometimes visitors stop play in confusion. When possible officials get the girls to play on. Sometimes they find it necessary to blow the whistle and give it out of bounds to the team that had possession. That works for me. Is it according to the rules?
1) As described, this is the wrong procedure. The team in posession should keep the ball.

2) Yes.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overnbach

In your area what time does your JV game starts? Normally, most schedule bell ringing is over by time games are played.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Play to the Whistle

Not seeing the play one explanation for the change of possesoin might have been a violatrion after the shot clock sounded, travel, etc. Players are versed to play to a whistle not a horn. The horn itself is not an inadverdent whistle. I know that personally during a game if a horn sounds for no reason I immediatley tell the players to play on.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Game time is 3:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
In your area what time does your JV game starts? Normally, most schedule bell ringing is over by time games are played.
In our league almost all of our games days have four games: jv girls, jv boys, varsity girls, and varsity boys. JV girls start at 3:00 P.M. Our school has a four day week, with longer than normal school days, and the final bell is at or about 3:48.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF
Not seeing the play one explanation for the change of possesoin might have been a violatrion after the shot clock sounded,
Certainly could be that you are correct. It wasn't clear why the ball turned over. Oregon coach Ernie Kent said he was given different answers from different officials. Could have been a violation before the horn sounded, as well.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overnback
If it is a inadvertent whistle then the ball would go back to the team that was in control of the ball. If there is no T/C then you would go to the AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF
Not seeing the play one explanation for the change of possesoin might have been a violatrion after the shot clock sounded, travel, etc. Players are versed to play to a whistle not a horn. The horn itself is not an inadverdent whistle. I know that personally during a game if a horn sounds for no reason I immediatley tell the players to play on.
I bet in this play you wouldn't say play on.

If the ball is being dribbled up the floor and the shot clock horn goes off then you have to blow your whistle immediately. I can't see in this play that the kid traveled if he was dribbling, maybe he doubled . Just like I can't see the officials not blowing a whistle when the SC horn (If that was what sounded) erroneously sounds, immediately!

I wonder if it was the shot clock horn or the game clock horn?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Additional info on this play..

Trojans hold up under pressure from Ducks

By Kevin Hudson, Oregon Daily Emerald
January 28, 2008

"............When the overtime finally tipped off, Taylor stole the USC tip and looked to be breaking away for a layup that would have given the Ducks their first lead of the night, but the scoreboard buzzer went off and the referees whistled a stop to the action. The officials ruled possession of the ball in USC's favor and freshman guard O.J. Mayo hit a 3, giving USC the lead and the momentum back.

Mayo had 25 points in the game and led the Trojans with eight rebounds.

No official word was forthcoming after the game as to why the Trojans were awarded possession of the ball after the stolen tip. Oregon coach Ernie Kent said he had been given three different explanations. The first was that the official's toss on the tip had been unfairly thrown in Leunen's favor, (though USC center Taj Gibson won the tip), the second that Taylor had moved before the ball was tipped to get the steal, and the third that the inadvertent horn had resulted in an alternating possession situation, giving USC the ball.

Kent said after the game that he was still unclear as to what the call actually was, but was pursuing a final answer from the officials and the Pac-10.

"You can't really make any excuses for the way that we played in overtime but I would definitely say that it was a tough break," said Taylor of the call.

Doesn't sound like this was a SC horn but the game clock horn...