Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Let me ask something here.
During the first half, you have 2 assistant coaches. Then, midway through the third quarter you notice there is only one sidekick. A little bit later you hear a fan making comments; comments that would earn a coach a T but don't merit response when they come from a fan. You turn and notice it's the missing assistant coach. You going to whack him?
Yeah!! I'm getting him because I believe the assistant to be a team member, bench personnel, team affiliate.

Their either a team member or they aren't. Keep in mind I don't think that you cold ever consider the Varsity members affiliates or team members of the JV team.

Edit...The key to knowing that the assistant is a team member is that he @ one time was on the bench.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Thu Jan 31, 2008 at 05:23pm.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here's where you're going to have trouble with this. JV game prior to the varsity game, varsity coach sits on the bench as an assistant during the first half. He spends the 2nd half with his varsity players. Just before the end of the 4th, the team is standing in the corner waiting for their turn, and you hear him make a comment like I mentioned above. You gonna T him now?

You gonna get him for leaving the bench area, too?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's where you're going to have trouble with this. JV game prior to the varsity game, varsity coach sits on the bench as an assistant during the first half. He spends the 2nd half with his varsity players. Just before the end of the 4th, the team is standing in the corner waiting for their turn, and you hear him make a comment like I mentioned above. You gonna T him now?

You gonna get him for leaving the bench area, too?
Since he was on the bench and obviously affiliated with the JV team and I notice that he is off the bench making a unsporting comment that REQUIRES a penalty then I'm getting him, DT on him, IDT on the JV coach, then he would either have to get on the bench or he better leave the visual confines of the floor.

Again the KEY here is that he was on the bench which leaves no question that he is affiliated with the team.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good luck with that.

What if he makes no comments whatsoever, and you notice he's standing in the corner with the varsity guys?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good luck with that.

What if he makes no comments whatsoever, and you notice he's standing in the corner with the varsity guys?
I got nothing unless he says or does something unsporting. More then likely he left or didn't come back out @ halftime of the JV game. If does say/do something unsporting during the remainder of the JV game then I'm getting him and sitting the JV coach.

This being rule supported since he in fact was on the bench in the first half, he is affiliated with the JV team.

Not that its very likely/common for either of these to happen, dunk by varsity in JV game, unsporting comment by VHC back in the corner, but if they do the latter I can handle with a penalty and be confident that I'm backed by the rules. The former on the other hand isn't rule supported, IMO!
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

This is the most ridicluous post I've ever viewed on this site. 127 replies!!!!!!!!!!! You folks have too much time on your hands, get out there and officiate!!! Discuss the issues that come up during the game.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:00am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
You keep focusing on "affiliated" and I try to get you to see the phrase "eligible to become a player."
If he is in a legal uniform, he is eligible to become a player. It doesn't matter if he is visiting from jail. If the coach sends him to the x and I hear a buzzer, he will be beckoned into the game. Therefore, as far as I can see, he is eligible.

Quote:
Affiliated is included in the definition of bench personnel. This definition brings under the umbrella not only players, but trainers, assistant coaches, scorers, kids not dressed because of injury, etc.

Now...what if any of these non-players, not in uniform dunked? Would you say that is must be a T because they are "affiliated." I doubt it.
It is not specified that a dunk by a non-player is a technical foul. It would be up to the official to judge whether this qualified as an unsporting act.

Quote:
So why do you decide that "eligible to become a player" is none of your business, since the NFHS does not put restrictions on things like seniors playing on the JV team or too many quarters in a single day?
Because it is none of my business. In the first place, I have seen seniors play in a JV game. For small schools, sometimes all players other than the top 6 or 7 on the team dress for the JV game. And are you telling me that in any shape or form if a JV player also participated in the varsity game, you might inquire about the number of quarters he had played for that
day/week/season/whatever? And you mean to say that if one of the stars in the JV had 4 fouls you would.......oops, wrong thread. Never mind.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 05:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
This is the most ridicluous post I've ever viewed on this site. 127 replies!!!!!!!!!!! You folks have too much time on your hands, get out there and officiate!!! Discuss the issues that come up during the game.
Gee, a first year official with 30 posts under his belt is telling all of us what we can discuss or not discuss.

Good thing I made a New Year's resolution this year to not tell any of the posters here to piss off.

Piss off.

Damn, happens every year........
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
If he is in a legal uniform, he is eligible to become a player. It doesn't matter if he is visiting from jail. If the coach sends him to the x and I hear a buzzer, he will be beckoned into the game. Therefore, as far as I can see, he is eligible.

Because it is none of my business. In the first place, I have seen seniors play in a JV game. For small schools, sometimes all players other than the top 6 or 7 on the team dress for the JV game. And are you telling me that in any shape or form if a JV player also participated in the varsity game, you might inquire about the number of quarters he had played for that day/week/season/whatever?
No. I am saying that the coach determines who is eligible, not me. Long before I beckon him into the game, his name will be in the book. That makes him a team member. When the coach tells me that he is not a member of his team, but is a varsity team member, that is OK with me.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Gee, a first year official with 30 posts under his belt is telling all of us what we can discuss or not discuss.

Good thing I made a New Year's resolution this year to not tell any of the posters here to piss off.

Piss off.

Damn, happens every year........

Although I am kind of suprised this thread is still being discussed.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
No. I am saying that the coach determines who is eligible, not me. Long before I beckon him into the game, his name will be in the book. That makes him a team member. When the coach tells me that he is not a member of his team, but is a varsity team member, that is OK with me.

Actually, being in the book is not what makes him a team member. Being in the book is not part of the definition of team member. If he gets left off the book, he can still be a team member, and have his name added, at the expense of a technical foul. So, continuing your line of reasoning, coach sends #23 into the game. Scorer announces there is no #23. You announce technical foul. Coach says, "Wait a minute. 23 wasn't even supposed to be dressed out for the JV game. He's not affiliated with this team. Let me send in somebody else." You say, "Fine, coach. He just can't sit on your bench any more."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eligible ???

If they're not in the scorebook (after the ten minute mark), and if they're not going to be put into the scorebook (before the ten minute mark), then, in my opinion, they're not eligible to participate, and they are not part of the junior varsity team.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

From my perspective there are only three relevant points to this.

1) Dunking player is warming up with JV team.
2) Dunking player is in team uniform
3) Dunking player Dunked

T
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 10:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75

3) Dunking player Dunked

T

Ignats:

I love your thinking.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 12:34am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75

3) Dunking player Dunked

T
I would have to agree that you did a whale of a job of summarizing.

Lonesome Dove