The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Reaching through the boundary

I stayed to watch the V game tonight and witnessed not only a warning for reaching through the boundary, but two technicals for reaching through after the warning. All by the same player. The first T was on the subsequent throw-in after the warning.

Early in the 2nd half, the other (non-warning-giving and t-throwing) official even talked to the player before a throw-in about not reaching through the boundary and appeared to go to some length to ensure the kid understood the rule. But the kid picked up another T for it near the end of the game.

It's my understanding that this is a TEAM technical and not charged to an individual player.

NFHS 10-1-10 Team technical...Art. 10... Following any team warning for delay, commit a violation of the throw-in boundary-line plane as in 9-2-11.

Both T's were charged directly to the player, and the second one resulted in his 5th foul and disqualification, though the official didn't seem like he was going to DQ the kid for getting a second T, not until the scorekeeper signaled it as a fifth foul. I didn't stick around for the post-game, but I wonder if they discussed filing a report with the state for the kid getting DQ'd on technicals.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 02:14am
(Something hilarious)

Yep, team technical. (Player technical in NCAA W.)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game -- Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Both T's were charged directly to the player, and the second one resulted in his 5th foul and disqualification, though the official didn't seem like he was going to DQ the kid for getting a second T, not until the scorekeeper signaled it as a fifth foul. I didn't stick around for the post-game, but I wonder if they discussed filing a report with the state for the kid getting DQ'd on technicals.
I find this easy to remember... because delay of game is a team technical.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Yep, team technical. (Player technical in NCAA W.)
I see that is one of the rule changes that was added this year. Strange decision of the committee to penalize the individual, I must say.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I see that is one of the rule changes that was added this year. Strange decision of the committee to penalize the individual, I must say.
Why? We penalize the individual for delay of game too a la rule 10-3-6.

What is the difference between interfering with the ball following a goal(10-1-5d) and preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play(10-3-6a)? One is a team "T" and the other is a player "T", but how do they really differ?

I can see the logic of issuing a team "T" when a team delays the game. But what is the logic of issuing a team "T" when a single player is delaying the game?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Why should the first player to break the plane get a warning and the second one a T, if they are different players?

This offense is committed by a team, so it should be a team T.