The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

In a game that I refereed yesterday I had this situation come up and I am unclear as to the right call.

Team B makes a basket. A1 is inbounding the ball when B1 crosses the end line. A delay of game warning is issued to Team B. Then Team A is awarded the ball for a spot throw in.

My question is was team A allowed to run the endline or was the spot throw in the right call. I have looked in the NFHS rule book and could not find the answer to this question. Did I make the right call?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that after the basket teamA can still run the baseline after the delay of game. ( please help on my question)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

If a team were not allowed to run the baseline after the warning, then this would give an advantage to the defensive team by intentionally violating during a critical part of the game. For that reason, I will allow the team to run the baseline, even though there is not a specific casebook play. This might be one to send to NFHS for their interpretation.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 03:20am
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys - this is really an easy one. A team may run the endline after a made or awarded score. Any delay such as a boundary violation or a timeout does not change that right even though case 6.5 misstates the issue.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thumbs up

I agree that this shouldn't be a spot because that would allow teams to take the intentional delay in order to switch the throw-in from running line to spot. During a press late in the game that can be a pretty big switch!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

They can still run the baseline... see page 53 of the rule book, 9-2-11 then see the bold type below "Penalty section 2) #1"