The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

The kids were deaf, I guess we were blind

Had an intersting DH last night. B & G JV, local private school v. The Utah School for the Deaf and Blind. I was a little curious going in about how this would work.

Met with coaches/captains befor the first game and asked if they needed any special accomodations. Coach said no, but did tell us that their scorekeeper was also deaf and showed us the signs for white and blue, the colors of the two teams. We used them when reporting.

Other than that it was pretty much business as usual. Either they could hear the whistle at least a little (some wore hearing aids) or they stopped when everybody else stopped playing. We only had two situations where players kept playing after the whistle. One was with the kids from other team (the non-deaf kids).

The deaf kids did sometimes take a second or two longer to set up for things. I'd go to hand the ball to the thrower on the end line and he/she would still be "talking" to teammates, setting up a play. I felt kinda bad for one of the girls a time or two because her teammates had no way to really call out the screens for her.

We made a conscious effort not subconsciously call the game differently because of the one team's handicaps. We even called an intentional on one of the deaf girls who decided to stop the fast break by putting a shoulder into her opponent. But I will admit I was cheering for their girls a bit inside when they finally got to 10 points (It wasn't until the 4th quarter, they didn't make their first field goal until near halftime and lost by 20+ points).

The boys game was just the reverse. The deaf team had some players and controlled the game from the opening tip. It was a fun game to work. I did have to laugh at their coach though. He gave me grief on a foul where I held my whistle a bit about the call being late. Then two minutes later he's giving me the business about anticipating a foul and making calls too early. Made me wish I knew the signs for "make up your mind, will you?"
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

Great post. A unique experience, no doubt.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I have had the pleasure of officiating BB and FB for the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf. During the pregame of one of the BB games, I used the ASL manual alphabet to introduce my partner and myself. The AD, who was there to interpret the pregame instructions for the captains, told me afterwards he was glad I did that. He told me that if they thought I could sign, the wouldn't swear at me in sign language. We had a good time and a good game.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Doing a School for the Deaf game is good fer ya.

Really takes you out of your comfort zone as a ref. Nothing is business as usual. Mechanics need to be superb, you can't rely on your voice like usual.

You now have to use signals you learned before tipoff to communicate with the book (signals for color). It also challenges you to call the game fairly, as you have to deal with your own personal issues with any concept of 'handicapped' that you might have. Forces you to sort all of that out in your head.

At the California School of the Deaf, the backboards are 'ringed' with led lights (like NBA has for time expiring). Every stoppage of play the lights light up as a guide for the deaf players.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
BITS - Wow! Great post. Must have been a very unique and rewarding experience. Thanks for sharing.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have never reffed a deaf person acctually
I have been scorekeeping in a game with a deaf player though, he managed just fine though (even though he had a translator to translate everything the coach said during time-outs).
and this link is quite intressting speaking about deaf people
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...8546/arti.html
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I reffed Indiana Deaf School little guys this summer...I think they were like
5th grade. It was kind of interesting and I admit I was a little uneasy at first. We did take a little more patience when putting the ball at their disposal for throw ins and such. Lot's of eye contact with them really helped out.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:46am
Esteemed Participant

We have the Washington School for the Deaf in my town...I was down there last night running the 30-second shot clock for their girl's game. I have been down there probably 5 times this season. They are fun to watch. They aren't necessarily all that talented, but they play hard and they are soooo into the games. It's also fun watching the different officials as they try to adjust...the girls coach is hearing, but the boys coach is deaf. He has a hearing assistant coach who is allowed to relay his questions to the officials...last night the coach did not like a call in a close game, so he jabs the assistant and reels off this long sting of signs...the assistant starts laughing and says while signing back "No way am I saying that to him. He'll throw me out." No idea what the coach wanted said, but it didn't get said...

Several years ago they hosted an all-deaf school tournament with schools from multiple states (like 16 or something like that). I reffed a couple of games there...it was almost surreal it was so quiet in the stands...

On a side note, we also have the State School for the Blind here in town. While not having a basketball team, they do have a very competitive weight lifting team and travel all around the country to compete...
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
...last night the coach did not like a call in a close game, so he jabs the assistant and reels off this long sting of signs...the assistant starts laughing and says while signing back "No way am I saying that to him. He'll throw me out." No idea what the coach wanted said, but it didn't get said...
Yeah, I saw that with my game but it was the players squabbling amongst each other on an errant pass that flew OOB.

Watching the players/coaches communicate with hand signals entirely was pretty neat to see...I know the PG will usually have some sort of hand signal anyway but non-hearing impared players will also vocalize the play set.

I assume during the time out when the coaches hands start flapping and signalling, he's yelling like a mad man?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a deaf school years ago. The trick is to slow down, which is what we should pretty much do all the time.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've done this many times, once when both teams were deaf.

The key is having solid mechanics.

Also it is important that when you have a hearing vs a non-hearing team, you stress the importance of stopping on the whistle to the hearing team at the captains and coaches meeting...I've gone as far as going into their final huddle before the toss to make sure they all know it.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 07:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Deaf Team And Deaf Official

In our area we have a School For The Deaf. They have an outstanding basketball program and play both deaf and hearing schools. The easiest games are one that involve one hearing team. The hearing players react to the whistle, and the deaf players react to the hearing players.
Games between two deaf teams are tough, but challanging. As stated by previous posters, you have to be on top of your mechanics, especially signals.

We also have a deaf official on our local board. He also happens to be the varsity boys head coach at the forementioned deaf school, so he really knows basketball, and is a good official. When I work with him, I really have to concentrate on my mechanics, especially my signals.

Everytime I work a game at the deaf schol, or work a game with my deaf partner, I walk out of the gym with improved mechanics.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Really takes you out of your comfort zone as a ref. Nothing is business as usual. Mechanics need to be superb, you can't rely on your voice like usual.

You now have to use signals you learned before tipoff to communicate with the book (signals for color). It also challenges you to call the game fairly, as you have to deal with your own personal issues with any concept of 'handicapped' that you might have. Forces you to sort all of that out in your head.

At the California School of the Deaf, the backboards are 'ringed' with led lights (like NBA has for time expiring). Every stoppage of play the lights light up as a guide for the deaf players.
I was there for the first time this week and had to get on the deaf team's coach for being on the court too much and was frustrated I couldn't communicate to the players like getting out of the key. They even had cheerleaders grunting along with the fans and brought out a thumping drum during the full time outs. I guess they feel the vibrations.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question, are there any allowances that are made for a deaf team vs a hearing team?

IE, more time during timeouts? Are there any guidelines on this?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdwterp View Post
I have a question, are there any allowances that are made for a deaf team vs a hearing team?

IE, more time during timeouts? Are there any guidelines on this?
No "rules" changes. I would be more tolerant of "play after the whistle" and items such as that.