The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Help with this one

On Saturday I had a very close girls game. late 2nd half, A1 fouls B1. B1 is now in the bonus. A1 then two hand shoves B1 (not hard but definately out of frustration or anger). I called a Technical. My question is, should she have been tossed??
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Always a judgment call by the calling official.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Technical seems to right route
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Dead ball, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Hoosier
On Saturday I had a very close girls game. late 2nd half, A1 fouls B1. B1 is now in the bonus. A1 then two hand shoves B1 (not hard but definately out of frustration or anger). I called a Technical. My question is, should she have been tossed??
If this was a dead ball, then my edurcation on this board says we ignore the dead ball contact or it is a technical, either intentional or flagrant.

I guess the question for the officials is whether it was flagrant, and if so, the player is disqualified.

Wert.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:46am
Huck Finn

Yeah, was it during a dead ball or live ball?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:57am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Tech seems right, unless the two-hand shove was very severe, then it could be considered flagrant possibly.

After this play just keep an eye on the player, to ensure that things don't go downhill.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

As always, had to be there. But speaking generally.....

Dead ball contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant. In your case it certainly sounds intentional. But it doesn't sound flagrant from your description. There was no punch thrown. There was no attempt to injure. So call the intentional T. If the coach is smart he/she will sit A1 for a good, long while. If the coach isn't that bright, and you think there may be more trouble brewing, have a very direct chat with A1 and let her know that she now has your full attention and if she steps out of line again, even a little, she'll be done for the night.

As always, just my $0.02.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Just amazing:

Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting inlcudes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:

art.1 An attempt to strike, punch or kick an opponent with a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made. Clear to me up to this point.

art 2. An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act toward an opponent that causes an opponent to retaliate by fighting. Hasn't change; still clear to me.

What the OP describe is fighting by feds rules. It does not state how severe it must be.

I'm not for keeping a player in the game for an senseless act on their behalf and I wouldn't encourage others to take that same approach when it comes to FIGHTING!!!!!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Everything changes if B1 then punches A1 right?

Dead ball push by A1 on B1. I rule it to warrant an Intentional Technical foul, but if B1 responds to the push by fighting, A1's "non-flagrant" push now becomes a Flagrant Technical foul because their action led to the fight.

Or, if after my 2nd whistle, B1 pushed back with a similar "don't push me" kind of push, but not an "it's on b!tch!" kind of push... then what do we have? I would think this is NOT a double technical, but rather two consecutive technicals.

Team B would shoot the one-and-one with lane cleared.
Team B would shoot the technical with lane cleared.
Team A would shoot the technical with lane cleared.
Team A has ball for throw-in at division line.

That is the way I read it, fortunately it has yet to happen to me.

Last edited by ca_rumperee; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 11:45am.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:44am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Just amazing:

Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting inlcudes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:

art.1 An attempt to strike, punch or kick an opponent with a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made. Clear to me up to this point.

art 2. An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act toward an opponent that causes an opponent to retaliate by fighting. Hasn't change; still clear to me.

What the OP describe is fighting by feds rules. It does not state how severe it must be.

I'm not for keeping a player in the game for an senseless act on their behalf and I wouldn't encourage others to take that same approach when it comes to FIGHTING!!!!!
How is the OP a fight??? Did not strike, punch, or kick...action did not lead to retaliation by the opponent...therefore, NOT a fight. I'm not sure that you are as clear on these points as you seem to think you are.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

truerookie,
You need to review the definition of a flagrant foul. Fighting comes under that as it is deemed a flagrant act.
I don't consider a shove to be either violent or savage in nature.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:04pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

From the OP: A1 then two hand shoves B1

two hand shove != strike
two hand shove != punch
two hand shove != kick

A two-hand shove is not necessarily a fighting act... In the official's judgement it could be considered flagrant, but to say that it must be considered flagrant and fighting is a severe misinterpretation of the fight rule.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify, it was a dead ball. I had not taken my eyes off of either girl. Everybody in the gym seen it I think!! The coach of the offender had no problem with the "t". However, I was a little dissapointed he did not remove her from the game or even call her over for a chat!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

good call -- had a similar thing happen in a game this year and my partner did what you did. Him acting on it prevented a "possible" fight had we not dealt with the shove after the foul. Ended the game with the same player who shoved getting tossed for slamming the ball after I called a foul. He did that behind me and my partner picked it up.

gotta do what you gotta do
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Strike ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
How is the OP a fight??? Did not strike, punch, or kick therefore, NOT a fight. I'm not sure that you are as clear on these points as you seem to think you are.
Strike: To aim and deliver a blow, stroke, or thrust, with the hand; to come into contact forcefully

It could have been flagrant, or it could have been intentional. I guess that you had to be there.