The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

That spidy-sense zone

Been a weird week.

2 very close, hard fought games...63-62 in OT Tuesday, 58-56 with a game tying shot falling out tonight.

Both games we had a near fight.

Tuesday my partner had an intentional foul, I closed, saw the fouler and the foulee tangled on the floor I had the open lane to get there and came in and kept other players out, talked the fouler away, but up close it was clear the foulee had the other kids leg and wasn't letting go. After a couple more let him go and easy, easy from me the foulee gave a little push. My presence kept it from getting worse. We ended up with 2 shots on the intentional and then 2 and the ball at the other end, because of the T I gave the foulee. That player had a little stir earlier too, so that factored in.

We explained it all to the coaches, had no issues and got to finish what was a really good game without a major problem ruining it.

Tonight we had a match-up of pretty big versus more athletic and it fell into the usual slot for those games. Both teams attacked the basket and went hard for rebounds and loose balls. It was a 3 or 4 point game the whole way and in the 3rd quarter I was lead, we had a long rebound on my side with two kids with an equal chances of getting the rebound both grabbing it up top. It was clear early that both had it and the fight would be on. I had the held ball before they landed, I hit the whistle again and stepped in, just as I got close the bigger kid turned and then let go of the ball and the force of that sent the other player flying. I took one more step and found my self between the two players and I had a clear view of the player on the floor and I was very glad I stepped in. I got there early had a chance to talk to the player before he got up, and that also allowed his teammate to grab him too.

It's a relief to know that you and your partner are in the game seeing the potential problems and handling them before they blow up.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Been a weird week.

2 very close, hard fought games...63-62 in OT Tuesday, 58-56 with a game tying shot falling out tonight.

Both games we had a near fight.

Tuesday my partner had an intentional foul, I closed, saw the fouler and the foulee tangled on the floor I had the open lane to get there and came in and kept other players out, talked the fouler away, but up close it was clear the foulee had the other kids leg and wasn't letting go. After a couple more let him go and easy, easy from me the foulee gave a little push. My presence kept it from getting worse. We ended up with 2 shots on the intentional and then 2 and the ball at the other end, because of the T I gave the foulee. That player had a little stir earlier too, so that factored in.

We explained it all to the coaches, had no issues and got to finish what was a really good game without a major problem ruining it.

Tonight we had a match-up of pretty big versus more athletic and it fell into the usual slot for those games. Both teams attacked the basket and went hard for rebounds and loose balls. It was a 3 or 4 point game the whole way and in the 3rd quarter I was lead, we had a long rebound on my side with two kids with an equal chances of getting the rebound both grabbing it up top. It was clear early that both had it and the fight would be on. I had the held ball before they landed, I hit the whistle again and stepped in, just as I got close the bigger kid turned and then let go of the ball and the force of that sent the other player flying. I took one more step and found my self between the two players and I had a clear view of the player on the floor and I was very glad I stepped in. I got there early had a chance to talk to the player before he got up, and that also allowed his teammate to grab him too.

It's a relief to know that you and your partner are in the game seeing the potential problems and handling them before they blow up.

Good to hear you had a great game. IMO, what a great display of game awareness and game management. These are the types of game you actually look for but not on a nightly basis.