The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Glasses-Goggles

I was asked this question and have yet been able to find documentation. If a player who wears eye-protective goggles (more so for protection than eye correction) Is he permitted to pull the glasses up and leave them on his head while he shoots a free-throw. I guess the players glasses were a little scratched and felt more comfortable to not look throw them while shooting free throws. Is there any rule or case that gives the correct ruling on this matter.

Thanks
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 08:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No rule.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
I was asked this question and have yet been able to find documentation. If a player who wears eye-protective goggles (more so for protection than eye correction) Is he permitted to pull the glasses up and leave them on his head while he shoots a free-throw. I guess the players glasses were a little scratched and felt more comfortable to not look throw them while shooting free throws. Is there any rule or case that gives the correct ruling on this matter.
James Worthy used to do this.

Glasses, goggles, and eye protectors are examples of additional equipment that are permitted as long as the item is deemed to be safe by the referee.
There is no problem here unless the referee believes that there is a safety issue. In this case, the safety issue can't be for the player wearing the item because it is noncompulsory, so by definition he can participate without it. You only need to judge whether it presents a problem to another player in the game. In this case, there should not be any contact with the FT shooter, so how can there be a problem?

This is the same issue mouthguards present. They are also noncompulsory in the vast majority of states (MA is one exception). Would you allow a player to take out his mouthguard and hold it in his hand while play is going on in order to breathe better? Is the mouthguard in his hand going to hurt someone?

I guess one could argue that the item is temporarily not being worn in the manner intended by the manufacturer, but that seems silly to me as this is clearly only a temporary situation.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Tomlinson Rule?

What if the goggles are tinted? Do you disallow because an advantage is gained by the player wearing them? I actually saw this in a 5A varsity boys game that I attended this year.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This is the same issue mouthguards present. They are also noncompulsory in the vast majority of states (MA is one exception).
No more. The mandatory mouthguard rule for basketball was changed this year. Mouthhguards are "highly recommended" but no longer required.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite_6
What if the goggles are tinted? Do you disallow because an advantage is gained by the player wearing them? I actually saw this in a 5A varsity boys game that I attended this year.
What possible advantage is gained by tinted goggles?

If there is any visual advantage, maybe Officials should start wearing them....
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Having also been a player, there is tremendous value in reading the eyes of an offensive player. Especially in a high school level game when a player may or may not have developed the ability to 'look off' his passes yet. I just wasn't sure, and thought I'd open it up for discussion. The officials on the floor allowed them. Just wondering if anyone else would consider it an advantage.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Having also been a player, there is tremendous value in reading the eyes of an offensive player. Especially in a high school level game when a player may or may not have developed the ability to 'look off' his passes yet. I just wasn't sure, and thought I'd open it up for discussion. The officials on the floor allowed them. Just wondering if anyone else would consider it an advantage.
Nothing in the rules about tinted vs. untinted glasses or goggles (yet), so I wouldn't worry about them.

I have seen some manufacturers claim certain tints help players see better with certain types of lights. For example, some tints help golfers see their ball better; some skiers use certain tints to block the glare off the bright white snow. It wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturer is marketing their brand of tint as being able to help players see better in most gym lighting. I really don't think it's an issue of a player trying to block other players from seeing their eyes.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sure you watch their eyes somewhat but you will get shook all night if you don't watch their hips playing D. I see nothing wrong with a slight tint but if they are sunglasses, that's another story. ***last sentence is made without referring to the rule book***
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I see nothing wrong with a slight tint but if they are sunglasses, that's another story. ***last sentence is made without referring to the rule book***
You are correct anyway. Sunglasses are not appropriate for basketball and should not be allowed by a referee per 3-5-1.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 03:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Sunglasses are not appropriate for basketball.....

Basketball trivia: What fictional player once scored 32 wearing dark glasses and a bandanna tied around his head? This player, when launching a field goal attempt, was known to yell, "Trying one!" and when that shot was successful, would say, "Y'all come on back."

This is really too easy.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 04:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Nothing in the rules about tinted vs. untinted glasses or goggles (yet), so I wouldn't worry about them.

I have seen some manufacturers claim certain tints help players see better with certain types of lights. For example, some tints help golfers see their ball better; some skiers use certain tints to block the glare off the bright white snow. It wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturer is marketing their brand of tint as being able to help players see better in most gym lighting. I really don't think it's an issue of a player trying to block other players from seeing their eyes.
I have witnessed players wearing tinted protective glasses on the basketball court. Unless there is a specific rule about it, I would leave it alone as well.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 06:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Basketball trivia: What fictional player once scored 32 wearing dark glasses and a bandanna tied around his head? This player, when launching a field goal attempt, was known to yell, "Trying one!" and when that shot was successful, would say, "Y'all come on back."

This is really too easy.
Michael J. Fox or Mr. Bateman in Teen Wolf or Teen Wolf 2, respectively?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Michael J. Fox or Mr. Bateman in Teen Wolf or Teen Wolf 2, respectively?

nope

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref

This is really too easy.
One of the players in "The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh"? Believe it or not, this is the second time this week I've discussed that movie.