The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 09:59am
Jerry Blum

Play situation - Need input.

Hey guys I was at a game last night and this situation came up during pregame. A1 dribbling lenght of floor with defensive pressure, assume B1 between A1 and basket so A1 can't make move toward basket. A1 continues to dribble toward baseline, when A1 reaches baseline they jump into the air over out of bounds and throws pass across the floor to the corner to A2 who has an open shot. Is this legal or do you have a violation and what violation would it be?

I have an idea what I would do but I want to get everyones thoughts on this as there are 2 different thoughts on this play between the guys I talked with and their previous partners who originally brought this play up.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:02am
Official & Member

Not sure where you have an issue from your description. If the player tosses the ball while in air over the baseline, he still has inbound status. No violation.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

iirc, there's a specific FED interp on this, and it's legal.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I believe this particular play (jumping over the baseline and passing across) was discussed in an earlier thread. I believe the NFHS has issued some sort of ruling that this play is legal. Can't remember the details, other than the consensus was that it was a legal play, and not a violation for leaving the court for unauthorized reasons.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:06am
Jerry Blum

Where is the interp on this situation at? I would definetely like to get that and give it to the guys I was talking to.

Legal is my feeling on this as well, but the idea that they were leaving the playing floor to gain an advantage, similar to the violation for running out of bounds to go around a pick was the opposing thought.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
iirc, there's a specific FED interp on this, and it's legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I believe this particular play (jumping over the baseline and passing across) was discussed in an earlier thread. I believe the NFHS has issued some sort of ruling that this play is legal. Can't remember the details, other than the consensus was that it was a legal play, and not a violation for leaving the court for unauthorized reasons.
Yep and Yep.

Rule 9-3-3 California ruling, what is your association doing?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:27am
Jerry Blum

Found the interpretation on the fed site. Sorry to post this again, I didn't remember seeing the original post. Thanks for the help.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

The only way this play could be a violation would be if the pass by A1 to A2 went over the backboard. Maybe that is what your friends where thinking if they wanted to call a violation. Other than that, as others have already said, the play is legal.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 07:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
The only way this play could be a violation would be if the pass by A1 to A2 went over the backboard. Maybe that is what your friends where thinking if they wanted to call a violation. Other than that, as others have already said, the play is legal.
Larry Bird did this at a Celtic "home away from home" game at the Hartford (CT) Civic Center. It was a shot, and it went in. I believe that this is now an illegal play in the NBA.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blum
Legal is my feeling on this as well, but the idea that they were leaving the playing floor to gain an advantage, similar to the violation for running out of bounds to go around a pick was the opposing thought.
This is a case where you can apply the rule, "You are where you were till you get where you're going." In other words, the player is still inbounds, even when he's in the air over the oob area, until he actually touches oob. So since he's still inbounds, the play is legal. Breaking the plane doesn't make him oob.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 08:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I believe that this is now an illegal play in the NBA.
It was an illegal shot then too. I was watching that game. The basket was disallowed iirc