The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I see a lot of close calls during pregame concerning dunks. So, what is a dunk? And be very specific.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 09:28am
Administrator

NFHS R4-S16: Dunking or stuffing is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hand(s).

NCAA R4-S19-A1: A dunk occurs when any player gains control of a ball that is neither in the cylinder nor on the ring and then attempts to drive, force or stuff the ball through the basket.

FIBA R6-A28.1.2: To force or attempt to force the ball downwards into the basket with one or both hands.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
As far as pregame dunks go, I also add contact with the rim as a guideline. If the guy goes up and pushes the ball down and thru the basket, but doesn't contact or grasp the ring, then I let it go. I guess if he doesn't hit the rim, then in my mind, it's not "forceful". It's just a guideline.

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

OK maybe should say interpret the rule. Holding the ball, above the rim and throwing the ball down, but releasing the ball before any part of the ball is within the cylinder. Or, still touching the ball when part of the ball is within the cylinder, but didn't touch the rim. What do you think?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In that situation, Bart, I have nothing. Although, when it gets close, I will always go to the captain and ask him to remind his teammate to stay off the rim.

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
In that situation, Bart, I have nothing. Although, when it gets close, I will always go to the captain and ask him to remind his teammate to stay off the rim.

Chuck
I agree Chuck.

I will go to the captain or the player and tell him not to make me even think about it. Then I will tell a couple of his teammates to take care of him before he does something boneheaded. It is amazing how quickly and severely they take care of the problem themselves.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

So, what if a player tries to dunk but clanks it off the back rim and misses? T, right?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys - years ago I was told at a camp that the reason for the rule prohibiting dunking except during the game was to protect the rim. Please realize that the flexible bracket is a recently new product, and that there are still a lot of schools that don't have them. Even with them, rims can get bent. The rule cuts way down on the probability of a bent rim, especially when you consider that during pregame,the players sometimes goof around, and hanging on the rim to show off would be incredibly popular if allowed.

If you go back even a few years before that, dunks were prohibited at all times, including during the game. It was for the same reason, but eventually the NF had to allow them due to how ridiculous the game would appear if they didn't, I guess.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

my opinion is this: dunking should be allowed, people like to see it, now that we have break a way rims it should not be forbidden. let the ones whom can dunk show off and it would cut down on some of the stupid techs we have to administer as well as possibly draw a better crowd.
i am a pro philosophy type of guy though.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 09:35am
Administrator

I love to see the dunk just as much as everybody else, but I am reminded of John Wooden's feelings about the dunk. He did not care for it because it did not require the fundamentals of good shooting that a layup does (being able to softly use the glass, especially in the paint). I remember being required by my coach to bank all shots off the glass on shots in the paint (lane or bank alley). John Wooden just a year or so ago said in an interview that he likes to watch the women's college game because they play with a game that is more fundamentaly sound. But I still like to see a dunk now and then.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by crew
my opinion is this: dunking should be allowed, people like to see it, now that we have break a way rims it should not be forbidden. let the ones whom can dunk show off and it would cut down on some of the stupid techs we have to administer as well as possibly draw a better crowd.
i am a pro philosophy type of guy though.
Tony, thanks for adding that last sentence. I have an increased respect for your judgement!