The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS - A friend of mine came to me today and asked me about a call he saw in varsity girls game last night. A1 was bringing the ball up court. A2, apparently in the Refs judgement, intentionally steps out of bounds to go around B2 and then returns in bounds to receive a pass from A1. Refs called a technical on A2. Where in the rule book is this addressed? Was this the correct call?
Now what if A2, in the Refs judgement, accidentally steps out of bounds before returning in bounds to accept the pass from A1. Would there be a ruling in this case?? Thanks for the help.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:05pm
Esteemed Participant

The rule used wa 10-3-4...player T for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason...the case book plays are pretty clear...if the stepping oob was due to momentum, slight bump, etc, then there should be no T...but running oob to get around a defender or get a better position is a no-no...
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:08pm
Administrator

NFHS R10-S3-A4: A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason or delay for returning aftre legally being out of bounds.

The above rule reference is the reason for the technical foul in the first case. There would be no technical foul in the second case.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

How about when A2 goes OOB under basket when either using a screen, or trying to rub off a screen by A3, you see this happen "all the time" how does that sitch fit into this thread?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Warn them that they cannot go OOB to avoid the screen.
Then T em up if you judge they gained an advantage by going OOB.

RD
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When I see this, I usually tell the coach at a break that he cannot have a "set play" that results in his player having to go OOB to go around a pick. I tell him that if I see it again and I think it's part of a play, I will call the T. I also tell him that if it's inadvertant, that's another matter.

In all my years, I have had only one coach argue this with me. After too much time arguing about it, he stopped.

I'm sure you all can guess why
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

This is one of those things in the book, but unless it is very very obvious, I am not going to call it.

I called it only once. Kid ran off, sat on the bench, then cherry picked the press. That was kind of obvious.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Last year, I reffed a game with a play of this type. At the end of the first quarter, they had done it about three times, always the same player. When I was lead, she was running BEHIND ME! At the quarter break, I talked to the coach. She stopped it. I think most folks don't even know this rule exists, so it's only fair to warn first.