The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Could be...or could just be a numbers game? Maybe you just fit into Nevada's awesome official mold and are able to discern the slightest misdirection of the ball in only 100ths of a second...I guess I'm not there yet...and I guess there are no awesome officials in this area either b/c I see this called FAR more often than I see it passed on..I may need to go see JRut at Loyola this weekend
Well you are in an area where someone who constantly gets rules wrong and mechanics incorrect in their posts is working college ball.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Well you are in an area where someone who constantly gets rules wrong and mechanics incorrect in their posts is working college ball.
Touche
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 10:18am
Lighten up, Francis.

I posted this in an old thread, but maybe it will be helpful here. I admit that I didn't read this whole thread, so if somebody has posted something similar, I apologize, but in any case. . .

In order to have GT, there must be a try for goal. For BI, it doesn't matter how the ball gets on the rim or in the cylinder. Could be a pass or a deflection. But for GT, it must be a try.

Goaltending:

1. Must be a try.
2. Must be on the way down.
3. Must be completely outside the cylinder.
4. Must be completely above the rim.
5. Must have a chance to go in.

Basket Interference:

1. Can't touch the ball if it's in the cylinder.
2. Can't touch the basket or ball if it's on or in the basket.
3. Can't touch the ball (even outside the cylinder) after reaching through the basket.
4. If rim is moved, it can't contact the ball before returning to its original position.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 04:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I posted this in an old thread, but maybe it will be helpful here. I admit that I didn't read this whole thread, so if somebody has posted something similar, I apologize, but in any case. . .
A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.