The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hair control/head bands

I don't have my book with me and a question came up. What's the NFHS rule regarding head bands? As I understand (and enforce) the rule, if it's absorbant (like a sweat band), it must match the predominant color of the uniform. Any other hair control device (except bobby pins and other hard items that are obviously illegal) such as pre-wrap is okay. What about the thin hair bands (1/4" or so) that a lot of girls are wearing? I had a partner tell a team they could not wear them unless they matched their uniforms. These particular bands had Nike logos on them (but you really couldn't see the logos unless you were pretty close up).

My feeling is that they are legal in a high school game. Your thoughts?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Lots of recent threads on this, see Nevada's post #8..

Questions on hair control devices
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
I don't have my book with me and a question came up. What's the NFHS rule regarding head bands? As I understand (and enforce) the rule, if it's absorbant (like a sweat band), it must match the predominant color of the uniform.
Or white, and all must be the same.

Quote:
Any other hair control device (except bobby pins and other hard items that are obviously illegal) such as pre-wrap is okay. What about the thin hair bands (1/4" or so) that a lot of girls are wearing? I had a partner tell a team they could not wear them unless they matched their uniforms. These particular bands had Nike logos on them (but you really couldn't see the logos unless you were pretty close up).

My feeling is that they are legal in a high school game. Your thoughts?
Correct for HS. My guess is that this will change next year to (more closely) match the NCAA rule
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Here is what we're doing in Minnesota.....

Update on Interpretation of Hair Decorations for Basketball

This season the use of pre-wrap by girl basketball players has become very popular. In some cases this is being used as a hair control device and in other cases it is obviously a hair decoration -- which is illegal. In order to eliminate confusion and to provide for statewide consistency, the MSHSL is issuing the following interpretation regarding hair control devices.

Beginning with games being played on December 14, Minnesota will consider any item that is worn around the head to be a headband and must comply with the headband rules. Headbands must be a maximum of 2 inches wide; white, beige, or a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for all participants of that team. Note: beige has been added as a legal color.

Items that do not meet the above requirements are considered hair decorations which are considered to be illegal equipment. Players are not allowed to play or warm-up while wearing illegal equipment.

Officials are expected to consistently enforce this rule. Coaches and administrators are asked to enforce this rule with their teams. Thank you for your attention to this issue, which has caused of confusion in the early part of the season. Good luck with your 2007-08 season.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I have been wondering about this, too. Girls are regulated regularly in terms of hair control. However, I see many boys with "shag" hair dos or other wise long hair that wear nothing to control their hair and aren't forced to. Do these same rules apply for boys? If no, why not? Doesn't seem fair
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele95
I have been wondering about this, too. Girls are regulated regularly in terms of hair control. However, I see many boys with "shag" hair dos or other wise long hair that wear nothing to control their hair and aren't forced to. Do these same rules apply for boys? If no, why not? Doesn't seem fair

The rules are exactly the same for both sexes. Girls with "shag" or otherwise long hair aren't forced to wear hair control devices either.

The rules are written for and apply to anyone wearing hair control devices, regardless of sex. There is no requirement that hair control devices must be worn though.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

We just received a memo from our assigner about hair control devices as well:
Hair Control Clarification: Players may wear rubber bands, scrunchies, pre-wrap and multi-colored elastic bands to hold their hair back. These items are not considered headbands and therefore do not fall under the new headband rule. These items do not have to be the same color as the uniform jersey as they can be any color and may be multi colored and are not subject to the logo restriction. Birthday type ribbons holding a 'pony tail' are prohibited and the player may not participate while wearing such an item.

Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:33am
In Memoriam

Ah yes! Dueling interpretations from Minnesota and Oregon.

Actually, the great thing is that both of you do have an interpretation to follow, even if they are different. That cuts out the arguments with coaches and players.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Ah yes! Dueling interpretations from Minnesota and Oregon.

Actually, the great thing is that both of you do have an interpretation to follow, even if they are different. That cuts out the arguments with coaches and players.
Yes it does. We also have one from our SRI (coincidentally the same person as the assignor Smitty referred to) on full length compression sleeves - the "except for medical reasons" exception in the rules requires a doctors note. Had a kid in a BJV game last night come on the floor for warm ups wearing one - told him they weren't allowed & he said it was for his elbow. I asked if he had a doctor's note, he said no, and I told him without one he couldn't wear it.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Yes it does. We also have one from our SRI (coincidentally the same person as the assignor Smitty referred to) on full length compression sleeves - the "except for medical reasons" exception in the rules requires a doctors note. Had a kid in a BJV game last night come on the floor for warm ups wearing one - told him they weren't allowed & he said it was for his elbow. I asked if he had a doctor's note, he said no, and I told him without one he couldn't wear it.
Are you sure about that, Tim? I thought we simply had to ask if it was for a medical reason, and if they say "yes" we leave it alone. I didn't realize the doc's note was for equipment. I thought the doc's note was only if a player was unconscious for a period of time and later wanted to play again. Is that one in writing or just a comment from a meeting? I couldn't find it in any of this year's emails.