The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I started with one of them thar blowouts last night....A 22 - B 5 in the first quarter. From there on it started to get more interesting. When B, down the entire night, slapped on the full court press in the forth quarter, A completely lost it an panicked. B scored the final bucket with 12 seconds left and won 52 - 51. A good one and I had a rookie official with me!

And NO Mark, I wouldn't have EVER let it go into OT!
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I told you there is a good ol' boy network, you get all the good games!
Let me put it to you this way. Many of the games I have referenced were not projected to be very good games. The 4 OT game I had earlier in the year, one of the teams was projected near the top of the conference and the other team was projected as to be near the bottom and is not historically a good basketball school. My two partners at this game were State Final officials and we were under the impression that we were going to have to basically keep one team from killing the other. Believe me, this was not a game I circled on my calendar as a "great" game. It just turned out that way.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
What the h-e-double hockey sticks is wrong with you?
If players would make their damn FTs then almost none of those OT games would have happen.

The game I had on Saturday that went into overtime (and referenced in another thread with the video), the visiting team was shooting double-bonus FTs and missed both of them. If he makes both it is a two possession game. If he makes one then only a 3 can win the game. Well he misses both FTs with 10.5 (or so) on the clock. They allow the home team to rebound the ball and then allowed them to go all the way under the basket and attempt a lay-up which put the game into overtime. Not much we could do there.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen 8 of those games this year. My daughter's freshman team is 8-0 and has won games by 55-4, 48-13, 66-4, 65-19, 55-21, 63-0. Yes, 63-0, and they could've easily scored 100.

On the plus side, the officials got home early to their wives!
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Where's my good game? Huh?
I might have forgotten to mention that occasionally the karma bus not only runs you over, but then stops, backs up, and does it again.

Like Jeff pointed out, the good ones come when you least expect it. Just be ready for it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...things happen. It was 41-6 at the half and the home team had one field goal the entire first half (a 3-pointer).

We had the winning team call a 30-second timeout essentially to sub. Other team was ready quickly.

Partner was the trail backcourt and didn't take the time to wait for me to give him the thumbs up. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I, too, wanted to get it going.

Coming up the floor, I heard some mumbling and quickly realized the losing team had six on the floor. Dammit. I whistle, we administer the technical.

Final is something like 77-30. At least we were in the car by 9PM.

Look on the bright side. At least it appears one team had some skills. It's when neither team isn't that I struggle...
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 07:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
I've seen 8 of those games this year. My daughter's freshman team is 8-0 and has won games by 55-4, 48-13, 66-4, 65-19, 55-21, 63-0. Yes, 63-0, and they could've easily scored 100.

On the plus side, the officials got home early to their wives!
Wow. The placekicker made all of her PATs.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
Look on the bright side. At least it appears one team had some skills. It's when neither team isn't that I struggle...
Tonight I had a 10 point game.

We had one of those moments in the fourth quarter, though. Ball shoots out on my sideline about midcourt (I'm the lead with players down low, so I'm on the baseline). I call it immediately. BTW, I got it right. The player himself told me he knocked it out later.

Losing coach starts in about how neither of us are in position to make that call and on top of that he had just been on my partner over a call he made (that I didn't see the play for since I was officiating off ball) on a shooting foul. I held up my partner from inbounding at half court, walked all the way down to his bench, and as non-aggressively as possible stood next to the coach and told him that the next time he did that (call across the court like that) he would be getting a technical foul.

His response? "It may happen."

My response? "Fine, if you want one, I'll give it to you, cause if it does happen again, you can be sure there will be a technical foul." Said slowly, with eye contact, knowing that I may have to live up to this.

I didn't like his response, but I wasn't going to bait him or make it look like I was the aggressor right at that moment. Guess what? He shut his trap

No kidding, no one is in position to see that. Hire three freaking officials instead of whining about it.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

VG..oh my gawd

9-7 at half...both were in double bonus...my first three man for the year...to worried knowing where i was supposed to be that I swallowed my whistle...feel bad for my partners sure they have a sore back carring my a$$ all night...tomorrow night another three man...sure is different than camps scrimmages...told myself no matter what postion or not call your game...gotta be better than this last train wreck
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Hello All,
New Poster but a Long time watcher. Really enjoy the banter and discussion on rule interps. I like to repeat the different senarios I read here to my partners.
Speaking of blowouts. We had a college mens game Wed. night that ended in a 157 - 66 score. I don't think we ever got over a 4 count in the backcourt or over 3 on a closely guarded. Both teams ran...ran...ran... (Man, do my feet hurt!) The losing team must have scored half of the 66 shooting 3's and the winners probably scored 50pts by dunk. NO DEFENSE played in that game.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:25am
Administrator

Quote:
...things happen. It was 41-6 at the half and the home team had one field goal the entire first half (a 3-pointer).

We had the winning team call a 30-second timeout essentially to sub. Other team was ready quickly.

Partner was the trail backcourt and didn't take the time to wait for me to give him the thumbs up. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I, too, wanted to get it going.

Coming up the floor, I heard some mumbling and quickly realized the losing team had six on the floor. Dammit. I whistle, we administer the technical.

Final is something like 77-30. At least we were in the car by 9PM.

1) The game is a blow-out.

2) Because the game is a blow-out. Suck it up and admit to the coaches that you and your partner made a big mistake by putting the ball in play before both you had done your due diligence (both of you counting players; and your partner for putting the ball into play without making eye contact with you) and that we are going to get the game restarted with only ten (five for each team) players on the court and you (as a team) will not make this mistake again.

3) Yes, HC-V is repsonsible for having six players on the court, but the officiating crew made a huge mechanics blunder in a game that is a blow-out. Therefore, a TF in this situation is a game interrupter.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Therefore, a TF in this situation is a game interrupter.
Isn't a technical foul in ANY situation a game interrupter?

To be quite honest, I've never figured out how not to interrupt the game every single time I blow my whistle.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
1) The game is a blow-out.

2) Because the game is a blow-out. Suck it up and admit to the coaches that you and your partner made a big mistake by putting the ball in play before both you had done your due diligence (both of you counting players; and your partner for putting the ball into play without making eye contact with you) and that we are going to get the game restarted with only ten (five for each team) players on the court and you (as a team) will not make this mistake again.

3) Yes, HC-V is repsonsible for having six players on the court, but the officiating crew made a huge mechanics blunder in a game that is a blow-out. Therefore, a TF in this situation is a game interrupter.

MTD, Sr.
With all due respect, this is utter crap.

While I'll suck up and deal with the fact that we put the ball in play with 11 players on the floor (I beat myself up for about 10 seconds after the game), ultimately the TEAM is responsible for putting 5 players out there, not six.

Game interrupter? Both coaches and everyone in the building expected a technical foul and this is the only situation where we officials take on the blame when nobody (coaches, fans, etc.) actually thinks it's our fault. Weaseling out of the prescribed penalty and trying to make nice with everyone would be a much bigger game interrupter. As it was, we grabbed a shooter, she made the free throws, and we restarted the game.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:28pm
Administrator

Quote:

While I'll suck up and deal with the fact that we put the ball in play with 11 players on the floor (I beat myself up for about 10 seconds after the game), ultimately the TEAM is responsible for putting 5 players out there, not six.

Game interrupter? Both coaches and everyone in the building expected a technical foul and this is the only situation where we officials take on the blame when nobody (coaches, fans, etc.) actually thinks it's our fault. Weaseling out of the prescribed penalty and trying to make nice with everyone would be a much bigger game interrupter. As it was, we grabbed a shooter, she made the free throws, and we restarted the game.

Rich:

I agree that the HC has the ultimate responsibility to ensure that his team has only five players on the court BUT the game officials admitted that because the game was a blowout they did not do their job as officials before putting the ball into play.

When the ball is going to be put back into play after the clock has been stopped for some reason there is NO excuse for a team to have more that five players on the court when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower or free thrower unless that player decides to enter the court of his/her own volition. Just because the game is a blowout is NO excuse for the officials to get sloppy and lackadaisical because they want to get the game over quickly.

I have had TF’s for six players on the court, but NEVER (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) because I didn’t make sure that each team only had five players on the court before I or my partner(s) allowed the ball to be put back into play. If the non-administering official is not ready and his partner(s) put the ball into play, he should immediately sound his whistle and make sure everything is to his satisfaction. For an officiating crew to penalize a team because the officiating crew did not do its job because they just wanted the game to be over is unconscionable.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

With all due respect, I agree with everything that you said. Shiznit happens. And it happened because a coach didn't do his/her job.