The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

When it's 66-27....

...things happen. It was 41-6 at the half and the home team had one field goal the entire first half (a 3-pointer).

We had the winning team call a 30-second timeout essentially to sub. Other team was ready quickly.

Partner was the trail backcourt and didn't take the time to wait for me to give him the thumbs up. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I, too, wanted to get it going.

Coming up the floor, I heard some mumbling and quickly realized the losing team had six on the floor. Dammit. I whistle, we administer the technical.

Final is something like 77-30. At least we were in the car by 9PM.

Where's my good game? Huh?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Trade you my 66-20 tonight where the V scored 5 in the second half.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

JVB 65 - 16 final tonight. 38 - 12 at half and 53 - 14 after 3rd quarter.

The losing coach was chirping, "that's walk", "over the back", "3 seconds", etc. from about 10 seconds into the game. lol
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

I had a 96-16 girls varsity game tonight. 49-4 at the half. The winning coach called off her press after the 1st quarter and subbed liberally, but she only had 9 players and they were all very good and very well coached. The losing coaches coached their girls throughout and never said a negative word to my partners or me. I think Dr Naismith rolled over in his grave a couple times during this mess. My knees ache, my brain is numb, and I too am looking forward to a rare good game.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

I have had a rash of close games. Just this past Saturday I had an overtime game. On Sunday my college game was close and went down to the wire and was a 2 point game with a blocked shot near the end. Tonight I had a game where there was a foul called on a shooting foul with time running out and down by one. The FT shooter hit both FTs and game is over. This also does not include the multiple OT games I had in 2007 or games that went down the buzzer. I would almost like a couple of blowouts. My game on Friday was not very good but it was nip and tuck most of the game.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

I had 2 very good games tonight. The boys went into OT, and the girls went to the wire. I think it was the first girls game this year I had where we didn't shoot the bonus in a half. The first half went fairly smooth, contact wise. The 4th quarter, it got rougher. Still a decent game though.

On nights I've had 2 games, this is the first this year with 2 good ones. Heck, I've only had like 5 or 6 good games all year, so 2 in the same week is cause for celebration. I think we've got too many teams and it waters things down too much. At the HS level we don't need any B teams. One 9th, one JV, and one Varsity. I can blame most of my bad games on B team games.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

I've been 1/2 lucky lately. Friday did a girls JV/V DH. In the JV game nobody scored until about 10 seconds left in the first quarter. Varsity game was pretty good though.

Did a Soph. girls/JV boys DH today. Soph game was a blowout, but a pleasantly quiet one. JV game was close and fun. Tied with about 5 seconds left when a kid from the home team buries a three to win the game.

I have a bunch of DH's the rest of the week. If at least one game of each pair is a good one, I'll be very happy.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

in weak games I see stuff I have never seen before. Crazy plays that I just don't know what the heck to call. Shots that no sane person would attempt. I even laughed when this girl whose team was losing badly kept trying to toss the ball between her defenders legs. It worked once though. I had a wrong basket too. weak play but it was relaxed so its ok.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have had a rash of close games. Just this past Saturday I had an overtime game. On Sunday my college game was close and went down to the wire and was a 2 point game with a blocked shot near the end. Tonight I had a game where there was a foul called on a shooting foul with time running out and down by one. The FT shooter hit both FTs and game is over. This also does not include the multiple OT games I had in 2007 or games that went down the buzzer. I would almost like a couple of blowouts. My game on Friday was not very good but it was nip and tuck most of the game.

Peace

I told you there is a good ol' boy network, you get all the good games!
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
...things happen. It was 41-6 at the half and the home team had one field goal the entire first half (a 3-pointer).

We had the winning team call a 30-second timeout essentially to sub. Other team was ready quickly.

Partner was the trail backcourt and didn't take the time to wait for me to give him the thumbs up. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I, too, wanted to get it going.

Coming up the floor, I heard some mumbling and quickly realized the losing team had six on the floor. Dammit. I whistle, we administer the technical.

Wow...........I was thinking last night of posting the same thing.

Girls Varsity, 25 point blow out. I'm the R , my partners could care less about a pregame, or the game for that matter, coaches seemed bored, I was in C the whole fourth quarter, lead never rotated. I was HOME by 9:00.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:06am
Esteemed Participant

Let's just remember that blowouts are sometimes the games where the biggest messes occur. We tend to let down our "guard" and get too relaxed and the next thing you know, the sh!t has hit the fan and we are in a mess.

A decent example of that would be my son's JV game last night...our coach disciplined four of the starters for breaking a team rule (they skipped a class on Monday - ) and made them sit the first half. So at halftime the score was 32-6 (my son had 5 of the 6 )...the refs came out for the second half with the 4 starters back in and didn't know what hit them. The intensity level tripled, the pace of the game went way up, and things got a little dicey for a while.

Moral of the story - we all have blow-outs we have to deal with, but we don't get to put it on cruise control...

And btw, the worst one I ever reffed was GV and it was 111-17 with a 30 second shot clock...yuck.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Rich, you really have hit a bad streak. Hope it gets better soon!
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rich,

I do not officiate basketball, but do read a lot of the posts. I thought I had read that, if the ball was put into play with six players on the floor, the whistle was sounded and the player was removed with no penalty as the official had failed to count.

I even saw this last night at my son's game. Near the end of a fairly close game, we had a sub at the table. The ball went out-of-bounds under the basket and the old trail/new lead beckoned the sub into the game. There was some confusion between our players as to who was to go out and no one left. The coach was talking to an assistant and did not realize no one had come off. The new trail put the ball into play and as the ball was coming up the court, the new lead realized no one had left. He blew the whistle, had the player leave, and resumed the game with a throw-in. The visiting coach questioned him and I could hear the explanation that it was an official's error for not counting. The coach accepted the explaination and the game continued without any problems.

So there should have been a technical even though the officials messed up?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Rich,

I do not officiate basketball, but do read a lot of the posts. I thought I had read that, if the ball was put into play with six players on the floor, the whistle was sounded and the player was removed with no penalty as the official had failed to count.

I even saw this last night at my son's game. Near the end of a fairly close game, we had a sub at the table. The ball went out-of-bounds under the basket and the old trail/new lead beckoned the sub into the game. There was some confusion between our players as to who was to go out and no one left. The coach was talking to an assistant and did not realize no one had come off. The new trail put the ball into play and as the ball was coming up the court, the new lead realized no one had left. He blew the whistle, had the player leave, and resumed the game with a throw-in. The visiting coach questioned him and I could hear the explanation that it was an official's error for not counting. The coach accepted the explaination and the game continued without any problems.

So there should have been a technical even though the officials messed up?
You heard wrong. Having only 5 players on the court is not the officials' responsibility, it is the team's. However, officials do their best to make sure both teams have 5 on the court before putting the ball in play, but sometimes it doesn't happen. In that situation a technical is the appropriate call.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Just this past Saturday I had an overtime game.....This also does not include the multiple OT games I had in 2007
What the h-e-double hockey sticks is wrong with you?