The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Signaling Successful 3-Point Goal From Lead (2-Person) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40857-signaling-successful-3-point-goal-lead-2-person.html)

HawkeyeCubP Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:21am

Signaling Successful 3-Point Goal From Lead (2-Person)

After some local observation, and some discussion of misconceptions about certain mechanics at tonight's association meeting, I'm just curious.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:28am

I don't mirror my partner in 2-man, but if the try comes from my area and I indicate the 3, I also score it.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32am

You neglected one more option in your poll: Only if the T does not give it.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:37am

To clarify:

The poll question concerns the only time a Lead is to signal a successful 3-point goal, which is when the try originates in their area. (This does not concern the possibility of a Lead signaling a 3-point attempt in fast transition with the Trail nowhere near covering the play.)

tjones1 Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I don't mirror my partner in 2-man, but if the try comes from my area and I indicate the 3, I also score it.

What he said.

I am having some problems understanding where the confusion is...but maybe it's just me.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
What he said.

I am having some problems understanding where the confusion is...but maybe it's just me.

Here the L will mark the 3 if it comes from his area, but the T is expected to score it.

tjones1 Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Here the L will mark the 3 if it comes from his area, but the T is expected to score it.

Ahhh, thanks BITS.

So it's basically a check your local listings question.

Here we just follow the manual - seems to work. ;)

JRutledge Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:25am

The mechanic we always used was the Lead only signaled a 3 point attempt when it came from their area. Then they would signal it good if it came from their area as well. Only the Trail mirrors the good 3 point shot, and never mirrors the attempt. Not much different than what you do in 3 person.

Peace

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Ahhh, thanks BITS.

So it's basically a check your local listings question.

Here we just follow the manual - seems to work. ;)

Huh? I thought you Illinois folks had your own manual? :D

BillyMac Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:29am

The Constitution State

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
The mechanic we always used was the Lead only signaled a 3 point attempt when it came from their area. Then they would signal it good if it came from their area as well. Only the Trail mirrors the good 3 point shot, and never mirrors the attempt. Not much different than what you do in 3 person. Peace

Same here in Connecticut Two-Man, with one additional mechanic: Point to floor for two-point field goal try (near three point line).

tjones1 Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Huh? I thought you Illinois folks had your own manual? :D

Shhhhhhh, no one is suppose to know.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 08, 2008 02:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
The mechanic we always used was the Lead only signaled a 3 point attempt when it came from their area. Then they would signal it good if it came from their area as well. Only the Trail mirrors the good 3 point shot, and never mirrors the attempt. Not much different than what you do in 3 person.

Peace

RUT:

Did you update the Bucks record against SEC in bowl games after tonight's game. :(

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Tue Jan 08, 2008 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
RUT:

Did you update the Bucks record against SEC in bowl games after tonight's game. :(

MTD, Sr.

I corrected the record just for you Mark. I was so mad I did not want to rub it in earlier.

Peace

blindzebra Tue Jan 08, 2008 04:04am

The proper mechanic is if lead marks it they score it and then trail mirrors the score.

crazy voyager Tue Jan 08, 2008 05:32am

Correct fiba mechanics for this is that if the shot comes from the leads area is that the lead shows "3-point attempt", and holds that signal until he can confirm the trail has mirrored the signal. He must how ever still cover the rebounding and therefore most of the times when this happen you see the lead holding the signal until the ball has either rebounded or entered the basket (if the ball enters he should look at his partner to confirm 3 points have been awarded.
(From the Fiba 2-referee manual - shooting situations- three point attempts [6.3])
The reason the lead won't score the basket (I think, I have no quotes on this) is becuse the trail is responsible for the flight of the ball and therefore he is the logical choice when it comes to scoring the basket (since he sees when and if it is good).