The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Got to mentor/shadow a 1st game ref this weekend!

One of our Senior officials (Dave) was working with a 24 year old kid (Nate)doing his FIRST EVER game this weekend. They were coming on the court after I had finished up doing my 4 games.

Nate looked terrified, and it was only pee wee hoops...2nd/3rd graders. So I told Dave to call the game and I would shadow Nate on the floor talking to him about floor position, where to watch and such. Told him when to blow the whistle a couple times......he locked up even on a couple OOB calls ....I told him to blow that whistle like he were in an NBA arena....

It worked out really well....both coaches were aware it was Nate's first game and that Dave was the man calling most everything and they were cool with it seeing as it was instructional for the kids as well. Very accomodating...

As much of a mess as his mechanics were, (we have all been there) Nate listened to everything Dave and I gave him...at one point he said "I have a freakin' migrane from all this!" We all laughed and Dave and I reminded him that even as overwhelemed as he felt, he still knew more than the kids and the coaches....

He was really appreciative of my support and I reminded him "Each one, Teaches one".
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 02:41pm
baluga32

Thumbs up

Excellent job!!! We all remember when and where we were for our first game...I was a freshman in college when the director of youth sports from the local church came and asked me to ref a game they had that night (I was doing flag football at the time). I'd NEVER officiated a basketball game in my life...but it was little guys and I'd have "No Problems"...yeahhh Rightttt. No one was there to mentor me, I ran over a little girl and made her cry, missed I don't know how many calls, and felt absolutely LOST!!! I wish I'd had someone like you to take me under your wing and take the time to work with me....GREAT STORY!!