The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Time Out Mania

I'm seeing some things around time outs that I'm not liking so much.

First did I miss the meeting where loose balls go to the first coach to call time out ? Ball pinballing around in the grey area of our PCA,2 man. In the middle of this we have tweet, and my partner has a TO for one of the teams. This wasn't a case of different angles this was a case of a recent phenom in my area of whoever calls a TO first gets the loose ball.

It's a little frustrating cause i don't give the TO till I see a player in control of the ball. Because i don't give the TO I get to continually have the following conversation of

Coach: I called time out.
Me: didn't have control of the ball yet coach
coach : but I called TO
me: shrug.

Here's one I would like to hear your thoughts on....

Visitors score. Visiting coach is asking for a time out. No one initally grants one. Home team brings ball in and is about 3/4 of the way to the division line when the visitors request is granted. So we have big racket over that by the home team.

So I talk to the 2 refs at half time to hear what they had to say.

Old Lead/NEw trail said ' I heard someone asking for timeout but didn't know who it was. When I figured it out I gave it to him. "

Old Trail/New Lead said" My bad I should have been paying attention but I wasn't."

Would you have granted the late TO in this Sitch ?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

If they were 3/4 of the way to the division line as you say then no I would not have granted it....if I hear time-out, see that the ball is not yet at the disposal of the thrower, immediately turn around and confirm that it is the HC requesting it, then turn back and see that the ball is just now at the disposal of the thrower, I would still grant it in this situation, but there has to be some limit on this...there is some judgement involved....I agree with you on the loose ball situation though, I don't like it when a team gets bailed out or given an advantage by calling a TO when there is not yet control....this frustrates coaches to no end, but oh well too bad...
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

similar play last night - GV game. I am on baseline administering a throwin. A basket had been scored and on initial inbound there was a kicking violation. I gave ball to inbounder and backed away. Opponent in FC press. Inbounder moves down line facing away from me. I hear "time" but only see back. then I see her step onto court with ball and my whistle goes off - violation. Partner comes in and said TO explaining to me that she was facing him and he saw her signal and say TO but spit his whistle - then mine went off for the violation. We granted TO and gave the team the ball for throw in following the TO.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
similar play last night - GV game. I am on baseline administering a throwin. A basket had been scored and on initial inbound there was a kicking violation. I gave ball to inbounder and backed away. Opponent in FC press. Inbounder moves down line facing away from me. I hear "time" but only see back. then I see her step onto court with ball and my whistle goes off - violation. Partner comes in and said TO explaining to me that she was facing him and he saw her signal and say TO but spit his whistle - then mine went off for the violation. We granted TO and gave the team the ball for throw in following the TO.
I have "spit the whistle" as well, that to me is a bit different than actually granting the TO late...in that case the official attempted to grant the TO, but just didn't get the whistle out, I think you did the right thing..easy enough to explain to the coach that you went to blew the whistle and spit it out..
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of spitting the whistle, anybody have any good stories? You know somebody goes up and gets killed, you spit the whistle, your partners don't bail you out and they are halfway up the court going the other way before you blow it and bring them back - anybody ever just pass on a foul b/c they spit the whistle? I'm sure I have probably done both over the years...
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Sorry, first one to hit the whistle gets to make the call.

Seriously, I had a partner have this happen in a game earlier this year. It caused the crew some serious grief. My feeling is that mistakes happen and calls get missed during the course of a game. There is a point when it is too late.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Had this last night BV 3man. B1 brings ball up court A1 & A2 set half court trap. B1 gets flustered and tries to make a desperate pass to teammate, ball in air B coach hollers "time out" I am T, ignore coach, A3 intercepts pass & go's in for uncontested lay-up & scores. B coach goes ballistic! Hollers you got to give me the time out! I says "you can have one now if you want" He starts telling me how wrong I was not grant his time out request. Tried to explain no player control onhis time out request, he don't get it. I swear some of these coaches just like to listen to themselves.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd21
Had this last night BV 3man. B1 brings ball up court A1 & A2 set half court trap. B1 gets flustered and tries to make a desperate pass to teammate, ball in air B coach hollers "time out" I am T, ignore coach, A3 intercepts pass & go's in for uncontested lay-up & scores. B coach goes ballistic! Hollers you got to give me the time out! I says "you can have one now if you want" He starts telling me how wrong I was not grant his time out request. Tried to explain no player control onhis time out request, he don't get it. I swear some of these coaches just like to listen to themselves.
You should have put him in time-out. This is properly administered by awarding the opposing team 2FTs and the ball at the division line opposite the table, plus the coach no longer has the right to the coaching box.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

The sooner they disallow coaches from requesting TO's the better, would make life so much easier...all of the action is ON the court, it is completely counterintuitive that we should be expected to turn our back on the court in order to verify a TO request....makes no sense to me..
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's My Whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Speaking of spitting the whistle, anybody have any good stories?
Early season game. My partner, the referee, passes on a blocked shot/foul call, at the buzzer, that ended the first period. No complaints from the coach. My partner is at the division line, across from the table, waiting to inbound the ball to start the second poriod. Players start walking onto the court to start the period. I am standing, in front of the above mentioned coach, with the whistle in my mouth, counting players. The coach politely asks me about the call, whether my partner passed, or whether the buzzer came before the foul. I drop the whistle from my mouth to answer the coach, who thanks me for the information. Satisfied that there are the correct ten players on the court, and the clock is set at 8:00, I point to my partner to start the period. Within a few seconds there is an intentional kick in my primary. I blow the whistle for the violation, to find that it's not in my mouth. My partner comes to my aid with a quack whistle, and we move on, looking at each other and smilling as we move up the court after the inbounds, after the violation.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
My partner comes to my aid with a quack whistle, and we move on, ...
That must be the new one that sounds like a duck.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A few years ago doing a very small school girl's game ball goes out on my line. After watching it bounce twice out of bounds my partner saved me from across the court. I have no idea where my head was...
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That must be the new one that sounds like a duck.
Obviously it wasn't a Dolphin.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My situation was slightly different. I had a cold during one game, and was fighting the sniffles and sneezes. At one point, after trying to hold back a sneeze, it finally came out: pttthhh....tweet...pppttt. Of course, play stops and everyone looks at me for the call. I just mutter something about an inadvertant whistle, and put the ball back in play. I think it took me a couple of plays to get the stuff wiped off my whistle.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:49pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
My partner comes to my aid with a quack whistle...
The dreaded AFLAC violation?