The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 06, 2008, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

Time out situation

Tonight I was a spectator at the finals of a local tournament. Last minute of the girls game, A scores to go up by 4. B1 quickly grabs the ball, steps out, and inbounds to B2, probably in less than a second. Meanwhile A players are signaling time out. Not sure who made the first signal or when, but when I first saw it, B2 had the ball in her hands inbounds. Now at least 3 of the 5 A players are in a cluster in front of their bench, all continuing to signal time out. B2 hesitated, then put the ball on the floor and started to push it up. At this point, one official blew the whistle, apparently to grant the time out. Had he not blown the whistle, at the very least B would have had numbers on a break on the other end. There's more. Trail official, right in front of A's bench, immediately point's back to the spot and simply says, "B's ball." Meanwhile coach B has made her way farther and farther from her bench and is now standing the circle at midcourt, saying something to effect of, "What the hell?"
The official repeated his explanation "B's ball." They went back to the end line, and gave the ball back to B, and I don't believe that the official gave a signal that B could run the end line.

My questions: If you are the lead and witness all this from the other end of the court, do you trot to the other end and call a huddle to confer about time out rules, or do you stay where you are and leave bad enough alone. And would whether you are the R or not affect your decision? Also, would knowing that your partner screwed up and cost team B a fast break make you any less likely to T up the coach for being out in the middle of the floor?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 06, 2008 at 01:44am.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2008, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Don't be a plumber.

Grant the timeout and get on with it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 06, 2008, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

I don't think there is anything you can do at this point but grant the TO. It was not correct, but the official gave it so he has to live with it. If I was lead I would try and be the one to deal with Coach B. I would not give a T. I would try hard to come to B and tell him/her in a nice tone "Coach, get back in your box". Calling a T here is not going to make this any better. Now, if B coach stays there and continues to argue I think you have grounds for a T but there's no way I would do this initially. It would be a fun post game discussion too.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

If I was at the moment,I would give a time out.

DVD to iPod

Last edited by crespowu; Fri Jan 18, 2008 at 03:45am.