The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Training Videos?

Does anyone have a recomendation as to a good video or DVD that would be helpful for young reffs? I'm interested in HS level play and situations that are common at this level: charge, screens, pivot foot, over and back etc.
Thanks for all the great comments and advice that I have gleened from reading on this forum! I am starting to recieve some heat from my wife as I supposedly only just sit around and read my referee Forum!
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
As with you, I am also interested in NFHS related Officials training videos.
Albeit not strictly NFHS, I have found that:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/exp...059/video.html
Has several online videos concerning officiating mechanics. While the site is FIBA, the mechanics seem to mimic (or come "close enough") to what the NFHS Officials Education Program is teaching.

and

https://www.eofficials.com/controlpa...px?ContentID=3
Has several online videos concerning violations. And while this site is NCAA, the points of emphasis make sense in any league... to me, at least.

Although, as previously stated, I would also be very interested in NFHS specific training videos... and more than the limited content contained with the NFHS Officiating Basketball Mechanics CD, which is all graphics-rendered diagrams and not actual "game tape" or instructors giving real world explanations, like the narrator in the online NCAA videos.

Thanks,
Paul
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

The videos on EOfficials Sidbury links to are flat-out awesome. They will help calibrate your judgement very well, whether it is HS or NCAA.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to Paul and the Oracle for your responses, I was hoping to get some input just like I did. I have one video that is on the pivot foot and they go through actual game plays and slow things down and show what was wrong and why, very helpful. This is my 6th year as a ref, I still have a hard time judging boys under the basket when so much is going on, anybody with tips for how to watch it "all" would be appreciated.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
Thanks to Paul and the Oracle for your responses, I was hoping to get some input just like I did. I have one video that is on the pivot foot and they go through actual game plays and slow things down and show what was wrong and why, very helpful. This is my 6th year as a ref, I still have a hard time judging boys under the basket when so much is going on, anybody with tips for how to watch it "all" would be appreciated.
I'm still a relatively new official, but I one brought up the same question to a veteran official in our group. His advice, after watching me in a game, was to step back further off the base line. I think we often think that being closer is better, but in this case, by stepping back a bit, I was able to get a MUCH better view of the action.

You may already be doing this, but certainly something which you might want to try if you're not.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Great topic. In 3-man, you should be ball-side on a play near the basket. In that scenario, you should be watching from the hips up, and let the T call the travels. In a 2-man crew, you can have the T try and pick up the travels, or you will just have to get back far enough to see the entire body and get them. This is a great thing to discuss in pre-game.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
this is fiba videos, but they have a LOT
It is a really good site if you are intrested in the fiba mechanics.
You will find case-videos, training videos, three-man instructional videos, and a lot more
http://www.basketballmanitoba.ca/ind...537&Itemid=329
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:15am
MABO Member

Thanks for the Promo Crazy. I like that site as well.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.