The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Time runoff?

Is there any situation in high school basketball where you run time off the clock?

I was told that under five seconds in a quarter if a team has a delay of game warning you run the time off? Any truth to that?
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 08:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

No such rule. This is not the NFL.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

I knew I was right, but have been told to respect my elders or in this case veteran officials ... and once again ... I worked a game with someone who is considered a very good official - and they are, but does not know the rules.

Glad this did not materialize!!!!
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:09pm
We don't rent pigs

If the clock fails to start and you have a count you can run off the proper amount of time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Is there any situation in high school basketball where you run time off the clock?

I was told that under five seconds in a quarter if a team has a delay of game warning you run the time off? Any truth to that?
They were probably referring to case book play 9.2.10. In that case play, on a throw-in a defender reaches through the plane and knocks the ball out of the thrower's hands. The COMMENT in the "RULING" states "In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning has been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic."

So, in that particular case, yes, you would run the clock.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:21pm.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
They were probably referring to case book play 9.2.10. In that case play, on a throw-in a defender reaches through the plane and knocks the ball out of the thrower's hands. The COMMENT in the "RULING" states "In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning has been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic."

So, in that particular case, yes, you would run the clock.
O.K. trying to fiigure this out ...

You would ignore any attempt to delay the game with under five seconds, but if they interfere with the thrower - you would call a technical foul without warning ... where does it read you run time off the clock?

The ruling ended with: "allow the team to benefit from the tactic."
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You would ignore any attempt to delay the game with under five seconds, but if they interfere with the thrower - you would call a technical foul without warning ... where does it read you run time off the clock?

There is no run off, you penalize the team with a technical foul and then you give the offended team the ball at the division line. I am not sure why JR used this play to illustrate a rule that does not exist? There is no special run off for a delay of game in basketball at any level that I am aware of. Maybe this was a local rule for some wreak league. But that does not apply to HS games.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I knew I was right, but have been told to respect my elders or in this case veteran officials ... and once again ... I worked a game with someone who is considered a very good official - and they are, but does not know the rules.
Very good officials know the rules, I would hardly consider this person a very good official, especially if he thinks there is a "runoff."
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

In summary ... no time run off for any case in high school basketball. THANKS!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In summary ... no time run off for any case in high school basketball. THANKS!
Not completely true JR. What Just Another Ref said above is true. In a case where the clock fails to start you can take time off the clock if you have "definite Knowledge" of how much to take off. The example is a backcourt throw in. You start your 10 second count. At the count of four you realize the clock has not started. You can take four seconds off the clock in this case because your count is considered definite knowledge. Only time you can do this.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
Not completely true JR. What Just Another Ref said above is true. In a case where the clock fails to start you can take time off the clock if you have "definite Knowledge" of how much to take off. The example is a backcourt throw in. You start your 10 second count. At the count of four you realize the clock has not started. You can take four seconds off the clock in this case because your count is considered definite knowledge. Only time you can do this.
His question was not about a clock mistake; his question was more geared towards a situation where by rule we run time off the clock for a delay call. Kind of like the NFL rule that if there is a false start within a certain time (I think the last two minutes of a half), you automatically run off 10 seconds. I would not call the basketball equivalent a run off, but a time correction based on definite knowledge of how much time should or should not have run off. It is clear to me he was not talking about correcting time, but a rule that allows you to run time just because of a delay. There is no such rule.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 07:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:

The COMMENT says that instead of calling a normal delay warning you should allow the clock to run off the last 5 seconds. I postulated that this was maybe what your source was thinking of. My mistake for postulating. Lesson learned.