The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

I'm moving:(

Well, this summer my wife is taking a job in the Portland area which will require me to move and pass the Oregon Bar. How does one become an official in the state of Oregon?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

This looks like a good place to start bud....

http://www.pboa.org/

I swear there's more Oregonians around here than anything else.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

rainmaker, Tim Taylor, and even Padgett!!!, plus some others who I am forgetting at the moment, are all up there. I'm sure that they will direct you properly.
You might be heading into a very positive situation.

Then again considering the people who are there...
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
rainmaker, Tim Taylor, and even Padgett!!!, plus some others who I am forgetting at the moment, are all up there. I'm sure that they will direct you properly.
You might be heading into a very positive situation.

Then again considering the people who are there...
Hey, I may become better!!!
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 09:53am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
Hey, I may become better!!!
If you are going there, better brush up on pasting google images. And the #1 rule on officiating is a bonus question in Oregon, I think.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Well, this summer my wife is taking a job in the Portland area which will require me to move and pass the Oregon Bar. How does one become an official in the state of Oregon?
I'll be changing my email add in the next month or two, but pm me when you're ready to move and I'll help you get in touch with the inimitable, incomparable local bball ref god, Howard (how do I add reverb?). And Padgett will hook you into some very good (or really bad, if you want!) rec stuff. Wa-hoo! Welcome to the wet side!
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'll be changing my email add in the next month or two, but pm me when you're ready to move and I'll help you get in touch with the inimitable, incomparable local bball ref god, Howard (how do I add reverb?). And Padgett will hook you into some very good (or really bad, if you want!) rec stuff. Wa-hoo! Welcome to the wet side!
Thank you, I plan on moving no later than June.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you, I plan on moving no later than June.
Get here in time for the Rose Festival. There's nothing as Portland as sitting through a really class A parade in the rain.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Isn't rainy season from June 14-June 13th?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bud,

What Juulie said...drop one of us a line & we'll get you in touch with the right folks.

You can also go to http://www.reftown.com and then select PBOA from the list of associations, then find contact & registration info in the "Public" directory.

You might also want to check out http://oreofficials.org/ - Jack, the executive director, is also a local attorney & might have other valuable info regarding the logistics of the rest of your move.......
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Isn't rainy season from June 14-June 13th?
Our annual Rain Festival runs from Jan 1 through Dec 31 each year. Last year, 418 Oregonians fell off their bicycles - and drowned!

Actually, having grown up in Chicago, I can tell you rain is much easier to deal with than snow.

Bud - do you know yet where you're going to live? Email me and I can "give you the layout" of the town, schools, shopping, etc. Plus, I have a personal friend who is a great realtor if you need one. Don't hold it against him that he and his daughter are also coaches. BTW - there are some townhome units in my development that are for sale. And no, it has nothing to do with living near me.

My email is [email protected]

Oh yeah - I know some attorneys (no, not because of that) so I may be able to help you get a job. At least, I can give you some leads.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Other important Portland information.

At least a time or two, you need to watch Perry Mason re-runs at noon. It's been on continuously since whenever Perry Mason started back in the '50s.

You'll also want to carefully choose your county of residence. The political lawn signs are a good indication where the county lines are.

Start now following the Trailblazers. They may fall apart later, but if they don't you'll want to be conversant with the details of this season.

Portland has the most stable home prices in the country right now, so be prepared to pay full price. You probably won't be able to take advantage of the big foreclosure boom.

Most of all, learn to say, "It's just a sprinkle, what's a little bit of rain?" Anyone that ever complains about the rain is automatically tagged as an outsider. YOu decide whether you want to be a native or a permanent visitor.

We drink milkshakes here, not frappes. We have potluck dinners, not covered dish dinners or carry-ins. We carry purses, not handbags or pocketbooks. And we drink pop, never soda. We go to the beach, not the shore, and we have El Ninos and El Ninas. And the hottest political issues are land use planning, water rights, land use planning, smokers' rights, land use planning and let's see, oh yea, land use planning.

If you're already doing college ball, you won't have any trouble breaking into it after a year or two. They always welcome a new person with skills, at least at the CC and NAIA level. But no matter how much experience you have, you won't get any varsity your first year. It just doesn't happen.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like Oregon is the place for me!! Thanks for your help
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Other important Portland information.

At least a time or two, you need to watch Perry Mason re-runs at noon. It's been on continuously since whenever Perry Mason started back in the '50s.

You'll also want to carefully choose your county of residence. The political lawn signs are a good indication where the county lines are.

Start now following the Trailblazers. They may fall apart later, but if they don't you'll want to be conversant with the details of this season.

Portland has the most stable home prices in the country right now, so be prepared to pay full price. You probably won't be able to take advantage of the big foreclosure boom.

Most of all, learn to say, "It's just a sprinkle, what's a little bit of rain?" Anyone that ever complains about the rain is automatically tagged as an outsider. YOu decide whether you want to be a native or a permanent visitor.

We drink milkshakes here, not frappes. We have potluck dinners, not covered dish dinners or carry-ins. We carry purses, not handbags or pocketbooks. And we drink pop, never soda. We go to the beach, not the shore, and we have El Ninos and El Ninas. And the hottest political issues are land use planning, water rights, land use planning, smokers' rights, land use planning and let's see, oh yea, land use planning.

If you're already doing college ball, you won't have any trouble breaking into it after a year or two. They always welcome a new person with skills, at least at the CC and NAIA level. But no matter how much experience you have, you won't get any varsity your first year. It just doesn't happen.
Guess that explains the fishnets.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:12pm
Huck Finn

So if someone moved to Portland after doing playoffs and/or state finals in another state they wouldn't have a full varsity schedule?

Is there a transfers scrimmage or anything like that? That is pretty rough. You are shattering my dream of working for Nike when I retire (for the first time).