The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

What a fun time

Holiday tournaments everywhere so those of us with free days have been very busy.

I ended up adding 2 double headers on top of my already scheduled games Thursday and today...so that's 3 boys games yesterday, 2 boys games and then the championship game of a girls tournament today.

The biggest margin of victory was the girls game...15 points, with the #1 team in the state winning.

The boys games had a buzzer beater for a 73-71 win last night and today we had a 30-24 first quarter, 51-51 half, and an 89-77 final as one team hit a cold streak in the 3rd quarter and the winner didn't take a shot the final 2:30 keeping it from going into the 90's both ways. We only had 10 fouls in the first half, and didn't reach the bonus until the loser was forced to foul late.

We have the 3rd place game in the boys tournament where evaluations for the state tournament are done tomorrow.

7 games in 3 days and I'm happy as can be. I'm tired but a good tired and surprisingly I'm not very sore...which is a good thing considering how important tomorrow's game is.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
haha... wait and see how you feel tomorrow... you usually dont get sore til you go to sleep lol. but, good luck to you with the game!
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps, but I did 10AM, 1130, half hour travel time to a different school and 3PM yesterday and repeated it today only it was about 40 minutes to get to the other school for a 3PM game...if I didn't stiffen up and pop a hammy today after doing 2 and driving, I think I should be good to go tomorow...plus my game is at 330PM
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Tomorrow is championship day around here.

I've been lucky, I've only had three games on three days, fourth tomorrow.

Today had a 3:00 tip and just hung out afterwards, home was boring when I left so i figured it would be the same when I got home.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Yesterday I had three games.

The first one was a blow out - not much there.

The second was a decent game. I had a technical about half way through the third. I had a push on defense in the backcourt. Player turns and says "oh that's bull!." Tweet - whack!

Third game was a very good game. Had a lot of fun and walked off feeling great.

Only worked one today. Crappy basketball, but it was fun and again, I thought we all had a good game. We certainly called a lot of fouls.

Scheduled for two tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Had 2 tourney games yesterday, girls game with a team from Miami, and boys game with at team from Mandeville, LA. I must say, it was hillarious at times to hear the Mandeville coach chew his kids out in that NO/cajun type accent. Also, it was my first game in about 10 days and man my legs felt good.

I have the championship games tomorrow at a different tourney. Should be good games. I saw teams from VA in there and I hope they are in one of the games. I prefer to see teams that I don't see all season long, especially teams from out of state. Lets me experience different types of play, not that it varies much from state to state, but still good to officiate different schools from different parts of the country.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

My 7 games in 3 days became 8.

Showed up early for my game and one of the officials working the 5th place game...only 2 in AZ...pulled a calf muscle. The state commissioner of officials sees me...the only other official there and asked me to get dressed just in case. I get dressed come out and sure enough he's too gimpy to continue.

So in I come 7 minutes into the game. It went pretty good.

The 3rd place game was a local team versus the pre-tourney favorites from California. They had 17 players and only 2 were around 6 feet. Their starting line-up was 6'9", 6'8", 6'7", 6'4 and 6'2". Tall and athletic so it's easy to see why they were favorites.

The local school was a lot smaller, their tallest player was 6'5" but what they lack in size they make up with brains, fundamentals and great coaching.

The visitors got down early and self destructed. Of course it became a story of home cooking refs in their eyes. I ended up whacking the coach.

The post game evaluation went well, but man am I tired.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
...but still good to officiate different schools from different parts of the country.
Was reading some of these posts, thinking, we don't get that many out of state teams playing our WA teams around here. EXCEPTION: An Oregon team about 35 miles away. (Hermiston, OR)

Then, I remembered...I have an Australian team coming to play a small "B" school Wednesday night. I guess "down under" could be considered a "different part of" the world.
Richland, WA