View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I have been working on "coach management" the last few weeks, feeling like this has been a weak spot of mine. I think I shared here what a disaster it was when I tried a line that one of you used with success: "That's a coaching issue." WHen I said it to a coach, some dads heard it and started razzing the coach about how I'd put the coach in his place. That was not my intent at all!! But the rest of the game was just plain awful. (PS I have this coach again next Thrusday. I wonder if he'll remember like I will...)

Anyway, what I've been trying to do is to let coaches know that I hear them, but without getting into any discussions. If they ask a question, I try to answer succinctly, but if they're just "giving advice" such as "watch the key, ref" I've been saying only, "I'll watch it" or "Thankyou" When I say thank you, I try to have some instant or two of eye contact. These two phrases seem to be working pretty well.

I've said Thank You in several different tones of voice, usually quite dry. Tonight it turned kind of funny. I was trail, right by the coach, first half so his team was on defense. He starts in as soon as I get into position, "Watch number 52, he's in the key, he's still there, look he's stepping in again, three, four..." you get the idea. I turned my head slightly and said "Thank you." He keeps on, a little louder. I said, "Coach, I heard you." He says, "I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to him." I said, "Coach, he thanks you, too."

Not another peep, all night. And his team lost by about 10 in the last two minutes.

Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this thing...