The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

L&I Claim

Has anyone here heard of an official getting hurt while officiating a H.S. Varsity game...and then getting their Doctor bills paid for and lost time at work paid for?

I have a friend who was told, by his Doctor, that he may qualify for Labor and Industry benefits. (He was officiating a H.S. basketball game and possibly tore his Achilles tendon.)
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure how that would work considering we're independent contractors.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Has anyone here heard of an official getting hurt while officiating a H.S. Varsity game...and then getting their Doctor bills paid for and lost time at work paid for?

I have a friend who was told, by his Doctor, that he may qualify for Labor and Industry benefits. (He was officiating a H.S. basketball game and possibly tore his Achilles tendon.)

Paid for by whom?
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 01:08am
Esteemed Participant

At one time, we here in WA (like Rookie is) had part of our dues each season paid into the State L&I fund, and we could file claims if we got hurt at a game that was assigned by the association. I don't know if that is true anymore or not. The reason was that we used to be paid directly by the schools at the game site, thus qualifying us as "district employees" under WA state guidelines...but that went away and (I believe) most officials are paid thru the association, not by the schools. You might want to have your buddy check with the State offices RookieDude.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
At one time, we here in WA (like Rookie is) had part of our dues each season paid into the State L&I fund, and we could file claims if we got hurt at a game that was assigned by the association. I don't know if that is true anymore or not. The reason was that we used to be paid directly by the schools at the game site, thus qualifying us as "district employees" under WA state guidelines...but that went away and (I believe) most officials are paid thru the association, not by the schools. You might want to have your buddy check with the State offices RookieDude.
Thanks rockyroad...(and zebraman for the private message)
I was hoping some of my fellow WA officials would have some information on this...and you did.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS insurance

Check with the NFHS insurance. In our area we have had at least 3 guys I know of use it. They originally paid the portion of the doctor/hospital bill that personal insurance didn't, and they paid your game fees for any games you missed. It is my understanding that the game fee thing has gone by the way side, but I am not positive.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I tore my achilles in April 2006. Surgery, rehab and more - the inusrance through the NF only pays after $1,000 out of pocket. Doesn't cover lost game fees. I had to go back to rehab a second time which would have put me over the $1,000 limit but by then it was past the statute time frame.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Thanks rockyroad...(and zebraman for the private message)
I was hoping some of my fellow WA officials would have some information on this...and you did.
There's a link to info on the WOA site. I was surprised to find it recently while looking for something else. The email link is no good. (I tried it because I had umpired with him once.)

So I don't know....

Rita
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Since 9/11, most insurance companies that covered this type of thing dropped the game fee coverage. I know that the NFHS and NCHSAA did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
a certain 4 letter association for officials has something similar to this... Never used it, and haven't paid my dues since my 1 season in.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

K and K Officials Insurance

Our Connecticut State IAABO (four letters) Board has encouraged us to purchase this insurance (link below) individually. The premiums are about $11.00 per year. Unfortuantely, I can't locate my policy to tell you what is actually covered, but I know that, at the time of the intial offering, the coverage seemed impressive for the low cost.

http://www.kandkinsurance.com/
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Policy Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Our Connecticut State IAABO (four letters) Board has encouraged us to purchase this insurance (link below) individually. The premiums are about $11.00 per year. Unfortuantely, I can't locate my policy to tell you what is actually covered, but I know that, at the time of the intial offering, the coverage seemed impressive for the low cost.

http://www.kandkinsurance.com/
I just found a copy of my policy. It covers us while we are officiating, and traveling to or from a game, or meeting. Liability coverage is $1,000,000.00 per occurence. Accident Medical Coverage maximum is $25,000.00, Dental is $2,500.00, Physical Therapy is $1,000.00, for up to one year. Game fee reimbursement is $50.00 per game, maximum of $2,000.00 for one year. Accidental Death, Dismemberment, and Heart and Circualtory Death benefit is $10,000.00. For a lower premium, $9.00 per year, you get all the above except the Accident Medical Coverage, Dental, and Physical Therapy.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The aft portion of our State's officiating permit is an insurance card. The following statement appears, "All OHSAA officials are insured for all contests in the sports for which they hold a permit."

I have never used it, nor do I know anyone who has.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Dental is $2,500.00
Is that in case you get a cavity from eating candy at halftime?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dental Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Is that in case you get a cavity from eating candy at halftime?
I once got an elbow to the mouth during the jump ball to start the game. I didn't have the whistle in my mouth, but I believe that I was lucky to just end up with a cut lip. I think that I was hit hard enough to lose some teeth.