The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   L&I Claim (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40648-l-i-claim.html)

RookieDude Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:50pm

L&I Claim

Has anyone here heard of an official getting hurt while officiating a H.S. Varsity game...and then getting their Doctor bills paid for and lost time at work paid for?

I have a friend who was told, by his Doctor, that he may qualify for Labor and Industry benefits. (He was officiating a H.S. basketball game and possibly tore his Achilles tendon.)

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:57pm

Not sure how that would work considering we're independent contractors.

fullor30 Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
Has anyone here heard of an official getting hurt while officiating a H.S. Varsity game...and then getting their Doctor bills paid for and lost time at work paid for?

I have a friend who was told, by his Doctor, that he may qualify for Labor and Industry benefits. (He was officiating a H.S. basketball game and possibly tore his Achilles tendon.)

Paid for by whom?

rockyroad Fri Dec 28, 2007 01:08am

At one time, we here in WA (like Rookie is) had part of our dues each season paid into the State L&I fund, and we could file claims if we got hurt at a game that was assigned by the association. I don't know if that is true anymore or not. The reason was that we used to be paid directly by the schools at the game site, thus qualifying us as "district employees" under WA state guidelines...but that went away and (I believe) most officials are paid thru the association, not by the schools. You might want to have your buddy check with the State offices RookieDude.

RookieDude Fri Dec 28, 2007 03:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
At one time, we here in WA (like Rookie is) had part of our dues each season paid into the State L&I fund, and we could file claims if we got hurt at a game that was assigned by the association. I don't know if that is true anymore or not. The reason was that we used to be paid directly by the schools at the game site, thus qualifying us as "district employees" under WA state guidelines...but that went away and (I believe) most officials are paid thru the association, not by the schools. You might want to have your buddy check with the State offices RookieDude.

Thanks rockyroad...(and zebraman for the private message)
I was hoping some of my fellow WA officials would have some information on this...and you did.

cmathews Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:27pm

NFHS insurance

Check with the NFHS insurance. In our area we have had at least 3 guys I know of use it. They originally paid the portion of the doctor/hospital bill that personal insurance didn't, and they paid your game fees for any games you missed. It is my understanding that the game fee thing has gone by the way side, but I am not positive.

Mountaineer Fri Dec 28, 2007 09:33pm

I tore my achilles in April 2006. Surgery, rehab and more - the inusrance through the NF only pays after $1,000 out of pocket. Doesn't cover lost game fees. I had to go back to rehab a second time which would have put me over the $1,000 limit but by then it was past the statute time frame.

Rita C Sat Dec 29, 2007 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
Thanks rockyroad...(and zebraman for the private message)
I was hoping some of my fellow WA officials would have some information on this...and you did.

There's a link to info on the WOA site. I was surprised to find it recently while looking for something else. The email link is no good. (I tried it because I had umpired with him once.)

So I don't know....

Rita

BktBallRef Sun Dec 30, 2007 01:23am

Since 9/11, most insurance companies that covered this type of thing dropped the game fee coverage. I know that the NFHS and NCHSAA did.

ace Sun Dec 30, 2007 02:33am

a certain 4 letter association for officials has something similar to this... Never used it, and haven't paid my dues since my 1 season in.

BillyMac Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:51am

K and K Officials Insurance

Our Connecticut State IAABO (four letters) Board has encouraged us to purchase this insurance (link below) individually. The premiums are about $11.00 per year. Unfortuantely, I can't locate my policy to tell you what is actually covered, but I know that, at the time of the intial offering, the coverage seemed impressive for the low cost.

http://www.kandkinsurance.com/

BillyMac Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:32am

Policy Information

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Our Connecticut State IAABO (four letters) Board has encouraged us to purchase this insurance (link below) individually. The premiums are about $11.00 per year. Unfortuantely, I can't locate my policy to tell you what is actually covered, but I know that, at the time of the intial offering, the coverage seemed impressive for the low cost.

http://www.kandkinsurance.com/

I just found a copy of my policy. It covers us while we are officiating, and traveling to or from a game, or meeting. Liability coverage is $1,000,000.00 per occurence. Accident Medical Coverage maximum is $25,000.00, Dental is $2,500.00, Physical Therapy is $1,000.00, for up to one year. Game fee reimbursement is $50.00 per game, maximum of $2,000.00 for one year. Accidental Death, Dismemberment, and Heart and Circualtory Death benefit is $10,000.00. For a lower premium, $9.00 per year, you get all the above except the Accident Medical Coverage, Dental, and Physical Therapy.

rgncjn Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:14pm

The aft portion of our State's officiating permit is an insurance card. The following statement appears, "All OHSAA officials are insured for all contests in the sports for which they hold a permit."

I have never used it, nor do I know anyone who has.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 30, 2007 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Dental is $2,500.00

Is that in case you get a cavity from eating candy at halftime? :confused:

BillyMac Sun Dec 30, 2007 05:28pm

Dental Insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Is that in case you get a cavity from eating candy at halftime? :confused:

I once got an elbow to the mouth during the jump ball to start the game. I didn't have the whistle in my mouth, but I believe that I was lucky to just end up with a cut lip. I think that I was hit hard enough to lose some teeth.