The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In a game yesterday, I requested a time-out late in the game, immediately after we scored. Obviously I cannot be granted a TO when the opponent is in possession of the ball. However, can I be granted one if the opponent has yet to inbound the ball (after we score) but has it in thier hands attempting to throw it in?

As it happened yesterday, the official granted me the TO but our opponent erupted when the request was granted, thinking my request was no done in time.

Thanks!
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, you should only be granted a time out if the ball is in control of a player on your team or the ball is dead. The ball is dead after a goal until it is at the disposal of the team entitled to the throw-in. This window can be very, very short. In practice, if you are yelling for a "time out" and signalling for one, usually by the time I look and verify that it is the head coach and he does in fact want a time out the other team has the ball out of bounds. I will grant the time-out using the theory that you called it in time but lag time on my whistle caused the ball to become live before the whistle, haven't had any trouble so far. That is the way I have seen other officials in my area handle it also. However, if you don't start asking for one until they clearly have the ball out of bounds, it definitely should NOT be granted.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
In a game yesterday, I requested a time-out late in the game, immediately after we scored. Obviously I cannot be granted a TO when the opponent is in possession of the ball. However, can I be granted one if the opponent has yet to inbound the ball (after we score) but has it in thier hands attempting to throw it in?

As it happened yesterday, the official granted me the TO but our opponent erupted when the request was granted, thinking my request was no done in time.

Thanks!
coachgrd,

5-8-3(a)
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official grants a player's/head coach's ... request for a time-out, such request being granted only when the ball is dead.
6-7-1
The ball becomes dead when a goal...is made.

And more... 6-1-2(b) The ball becomes live on a throw-in when it is at the disposal of the thrower. See case 6.1.2 Sttuation B (a judgement call).

mick

[Edited by mick on Feb 10th, 2002 at 12:48 PM]
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 07:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The operative phrase here is "at the disposal of". We have an entirely separate thread going on this exact point, and there is disagreement there.

Generally, there are specific game situations in which a good official will anticipate that a coach is likely to request a timeout following a score. We know what they are - the other team is making a run, it's late in a close game and the other team scores, etc. In those cases, I usually turn my head toward that bench quickly to see if the coach is signaling and if he is before the other team picks up the ball, or has the opportunity to do so (my interpretation of "disposal"), I will grant the timeout, even if my "whistle-lag" takes a moment.

However, in times other than that, we are not anticipating the request (after all, we cannot check the benches after every score), so I have to make a judgement as to whether the request came in time or not.

My suggestion is to immediately shout "timeout" at the top of your lungs while making either a T sign or a 30 second gesture with your hands as soon as the ball clears the net. Even in a noisy gym, that's the most likely way to get our attention.

Of course, whichever way I decide, I'm always right.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

In a close situation such as this one, as a coach, I make sure that all my players know to request a time-out the second that ball drops through the hoop.

Also, howling at the top of my lungs helps as well.

Ren
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
In a close situation such as this one, as a coach, I make sure that all my players know to request a time-out the second that ball drops through the hoop.
Coach,

THANK YOU!!
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I had a coach today who would start shouting, "Time Out!" as soon as the shot went up. I didn't grant it until it went through the hoop, then blew and asked if he still wanted it. He explained that he wanted to start the thought process early, so he wouldn't get into trouble with the "Ball at the disposal thing" (his exact words.) I almost asked if he ever read this board, thinking he was not acting at all like your run-of-the-mill Howler Monkey.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I had a coach today who would start shouting, "Time Out!" as soon as the shot went up. I didn't grant it until it went through the hoop, then blew and asked if he still wanted it. He explained that he wanted to start the thought process early, so he wouldn't get into trouble with the "Ball at the disposal thing" (his exact words.) I almost asked if he ever read this board, thinking he was not acting at all like your run-of-the-mill Howler Monkey.
Don't be fooled!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I almost asked if he ever read this board, thinking he was not ACTING at all like your run-of-the-mill Howler Monkey.
Don't be fooled!
You're saying it was ONLY an act?