The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This is an easy call. Under both NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules this is a blocking foul by A1 for not giving time and distance in setting a screen against a moving B2. The foul is a player control foul.

MTD, Sr.
Yep.

10.6.7 SITUATION: During congested play in the free-throw semicircle, B1 and B2 are less than 3 feet apart when dribbler A1 fakes to one side and then causes contact in attempting to dribble between them. RULING: Unless one of the defensive players is faked out of position to permit adequate space for the dribbler to go between without making contact, it is a player-control foul on A1. COMMENT: Screening principles apply to the dribbler who attempts to cut off an opponent who is approaching in a different path from the rear. In this case, the dribbler must allow such opponent a maximum of two steps or an opportunity to stop or avoid contact. When both the dribbler and the opponent are moving in exactly the same path and same direction, the player behind is responsible for contact which results if the player in front slows down or stops. (4-7-2)
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 10:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
A1 has the ball and is dribbling up court. He dribbles past B2 who is jogging up the court and makes no real attempt at stopping A1. As A1 goes past B2 he dribbles into the direct line that B2 is jogging. As he cuts in, B2 and A1s feet obviously touch as A1 goes down to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Coach of A is crying murder! Says, "That's a call every time ref!" Foul on B2 for tripping? Or, no call as A1 was primarily responsible for the contact? We had this in a recent game and had no call. I was the trail and could not see the contact as I was screened by B2. At the next TO, we discussed and both the C and L said they didn't see the play, just heard the kid hit the court. Trip? Push? No call?
I remember way back when I was a kid and a point guard, I drew three fouls this way against the defense. It worked once, so I managed to make it happen twice more that game. Lucky for me the refs were wrong.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 11:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yep.

10.6.7 SITUATION: During congested play in the free-throw semicircle, B1 and B2 are less than 3 feet apart when dribbler A1 fakes to one side and then causes contact in attempting to dribble between them. RULING: Unless one of the defensive players is faked out of position to permit adequate space for the dribbler to go between without making contact, it is a player-control foul on A1. COMMENT: Screening principles apply to the dribbler who attempts to cut off an opponent who is approaching in a different path from the rear. In this case, the dribbler must allow such opponent a maximum of two steps or an opportunity to stop or avoid contact. When both the dribbler and the opponent are moving in exactly the same path and same direction, the player behind is responsible for contact which results if the player in front slows down or stops. (4-7-2)
It's amazing how many times they travel when trying to split two defenders.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 11:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Or...you could call a balk.
I wouldn't know how to award a base, though. When I give them 2 minutes for cheating, I make them stand in the opponents' coaching box.

BTW, the cheating mechanic is saying "tsk-tsk" while brushing one index finger over the other.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I remember this story from Joe Garagiola's book "Baseball is a Funny Game"

The first base coach is pleading with the umpire that the pitcher was balking. The umpire does not agree. Finally the coach says "That move is at least half a balk" The umpire says "OK..you win...I'll send your runner half way to second base!"
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yep.

Ok...here is what I am seeing....help me out here...

B1 is running directly down the center of the court toward the hoop chasing
A1 who is dirbbling (say 2 steps in front of and 2 steps to B1's right)...A1's move into B1's line that creates contact from behind by B1.

A) When allowing B1 two steps and then contact occurs, this is a block/push on B1

and

B) When allowing B1 only 1 step when the contact occurs...would be a player control foul on A1 (because of the screening elements for time and distance) MTD said a block, but since the A1 has the ball, it's PC.

Last edited by Coltdoggs; Wed Dec 26, 2007 at 10:32am.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Ok...here is what I am seeing....help me out here...

B1 is running directly down the center of the court toward the hoop chasing
A1 who is dirbbling (say 2 steps in front of and 2 steps to B1's right)...A1's move into B1's line that creates contact from behind by B1.

A) When allowing B1 two steps and then contact occurs, this is a block/push on B1

and

B) When allowing B1 only 1 step when the contact occurs...would be a player control foul on A1 (because of the screening elements for time and distance) MTD said a block, but since the A1 has the ball, it's PC.
correct
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Is there anywhere that says allowing one or two steps or is what is judged to be the appropriate amount for the play at hand.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

This is very interesting and something I did not know. We teach our kids when they beat a man off the dribble in the open court to move in front of the defender to cut off the angle and make them go through you. What I'm hearing is that if they successfully do that, and get ahead of the player, it's OK. But, if in the process, or before they get two steps in front, contact is made, then it's a foul on the dribbler. Correct?

By the way, I have never seen this called on the dribbler unless the cutover move included an extended arm or elbow. As such, I would be hesitant to teach my players to "trip" a dribbler that is trying to cut over on them.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 03:50pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
This is very interesting and something I did not know. We teach our kids when they beat a man off the dribble in the open court to move in front of the defender to cut off the angle and make them go through you. What I'm hearing is that if they successfully do that, and get ahead of the player, it's OK. But, if in the process, or before they get two steps in front, contact is made, then it's a foul on the dribbler. Correct?

By the way, I have never seen this called on the dribbler unless the cutover move included an extended arm or elbow. As such, I would be hesitant to teach my players to "trip" a dribbler that is trying to cut over on them.
The two steps refers to guarding a moving opponent without the ball. To obtain a legal guarding position on an opponent with the ball, or a stationary opponent without the ball, no time or distance is required.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This is an easy call. Under both NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules this is a blocking foul by A1 for not giving time and distance in setting a screen against a moving B2. The foul is a player control foul.

MTD, Sr.

Really? For getting their feet tangled?
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
4-7-1: Blocking is illegal personal contact which impedes the progress of an opponent with or without the ball.

Tripping someone impedes his progress. Works for me.

You're going to use the block signal if he trips the opponent from the back?
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 06:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000
It's not defensive pass interference if the defender looks back for the ball and the feet get tangled and both go down. Wrong sport.

If feet get tangled and one player is a dribbler, yup, it's a foul. How did the feet get tangled?
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 09:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000

Zakman:

Sure. Why not? What else could it be?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 09:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill

Coach:

You have never had me officiate one of your games.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio