The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

wasn't my game but here goes. after the foul the table tells the official we are two shots. the shooter misses the first shot. then the table buzzes and tells the official it should have been 1and1. I couldn't find that specific case in the case book.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Since the officials told the players they were shooting two, there probably was not a contest to get the rebound. Therefore, go to the possession arrow for the inbounding of the ball.

It always a good idea for the officials to check with the scoreboard to confirm that a team is in the double bonus prior to shooting the free throws. I also try to wait until the scoreboard reflects this before administering the free throw. Sometimes when I just about to give the ball to the shooter, the buzzer sounds and the table says it was only the 9th foul and it is really a one and one situation.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
AP Arrow. I had that last week, where I signaled 1 and 1 and my partner signaled 2 and andminstered the free throw. After my partner rebounded the ball and no one jumped, i relized what happened and we had to go with the AP arrow to continue. Yes, coaches were all over us for the mix up in communication.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

First of all, the situation you provided is not a Correctable Error. Second, some important information was left out in order to rule properly. 1.) if no one went into the lane for a rebound, and the official rebounded the ball, I would do what the others wrote and go to the alternating possession. However, 2.) if a player went in because he knew it was a 1 and 1, and rebounded the ball, he should not be penalized for being "on the ball." Consequently, give the ball to the team who had possession when the table sounded the horn.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Since the official, by virtue of incorrect information from the table, signaled 2 shots to the players, I would imagine the players would usually go by what they were told and not rebound the ball. If a player DID step in for the "rebound," the refs still expected it to be 2 shots and would more than likely get it back promptly or blow their whistle to do so. No problem--go with the arrow. Now, if the players themselves were thinking TWO shots but were correctly told 1 and 1, then I'd let the players continue by saying "play on" or something like that. But in the original situation, the players have to go by what they were told, not by what they THINK the situation should be. Bottom line, if an "on the ball" player rebounds the ball but everyone else is standing there expecting a second shot, get the ball back and, after being set straight by the table, use the possession arrow.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion. the 1st block player stepped in to catch the ball. no player went for the rebound.