The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

If you are the R

If you are the R what all do you do and check at the scorer's table and in the book prior to the game?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
If you are the R what all do you do and check at the scorer's table and in the book prior to the game?
Personally, I make sure that the timer and scorekeeper know what they're doing. I don't accept a "I have done this before" from them: I still pre-game with them certain things, such as notifying us when a player has 4 fouls, what signals stop and start the clock, to confirm the visual display with the book, how to handle the arrow, etc...

I soemtimes will remind them that if there is a timing error that needs fixing, then I will do so, if they're new.

I also check that the lineups and the rest of the scoresheet are completed properly. I do this at about 5 minutes before tip-off for tournament games, as the gyms are very busy with teams coming and going. 10 minutes for HS games. I usually assume that the timing device is working properly.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I tell the scorers that they are considered part of the officiating crew and must remain neutral during the game. I tell them that if they show any partisanship at all, I'll run their a$$. I make sure the person keeping the book is using a pencil with an eraser and that the person running the clock can count to over ten without taking his shoes off. I tell them that if they brought any food, they have to give half to my partner and me. Finally, I tell them that if a sub reports to the table without having his jersey tucked in to smack him upside the head.

Then I get the coaches together and ask them if they want to buy foul insurance.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Then I get the coaches together and ask them if they want to buy foul insurance.
I love it! Seven years here and you're still coming up with new ones!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I love it! Seven years here and you're still coming up with new ones!
I forgot to mention you always need to ask if they want the "indirect technical" rider.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 01:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I still pre-game with them certain things, such as notifying us when a player has 4 fouls, what signals stop and start the clock, to confirm the visual display with the book, how to handle the arrow, etc...

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
I simply go over to make sure that the right information is submitted to the table. I used to go through a pre-game. I have found out or realized that most people already know their role. I really do not go over things with them. I tend to pay attention to what goes on during the sophomore game and if I need to address something I might do that if I see someone not doing their job. Otherwise I introduce myself, tell a joke or say something funny and I move on.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
What are the details of the policy?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 04:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
What are the details of the policy?
If you'd like to become an agent for my company, fill out the application on our website:

www.waytootiredtohavean.org
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 05:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Many of score keepers in my area need extra attention. Sometimes there are the gems - those that "get it" - but often the kids need a hand held. Telling me when a player has 4 fouls does two things:
  • it allows me to know that the next one is their 5th, and thus additional mechanics come into play
  • if they forget, then I've found that they notice after the ball is back in play and make it a point to let me know on the 5th
    • this prevents the situation when a scorer doesn't know a player has 5 until after the ball is back inbounds after the ensuing throw-in
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 05:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
such as notifying us when a player has 4 fouls
I know you're kidding on this one, right?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 05:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Many of score keepers in my area need extra attention. Sometimes there are the gems - those that "get it" - but often the kids need a hand held. Telling me when a player has 4 fouls does two things:
  • it allows me to know that the next one is their 5th, and thus additional mechanics come into play
  • if they forget, then I've found that they notice after the ball is back in play and make it a point to let me know on the 5th
    • this prevents the situation when a scorer doesn't know a player has 5 until after the ball is back inbounds after the ensuing throw-in

Good intentions aside, being notified that a player has 4 fouls is baggage you don't need to be carrying.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 05:43pm
Administrator

I know that Johnny's question was a serious one, but the first thing I do as the R is designate the U1 to make the toss to start the game and the U2 to chop time in (from the U1 position) because I am the laziest official in the world. I don't particular care to officiate two-man crews because it means I have to expend energy chopping time in.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good intentions aside, being notified that a player has 4 fouls is baggage you don't need to be carrying.
I think it is good game awareness to know if a player has 4 fouls. If the table can help you there--great. Never thought of that before. I also like the idea of having the table crew help with having jersies tucked. Great stuff.

The one thing I have not seen is shot clock operators. It is good to ensure that they understand that the shot clock is only reset when the team starts their possession. Lots of times they start it upon the reset after a made basket, which can be a few seconds early, and the shot clock can be one of your best friends should you have to call 10 seconds, if it is kept properly. If you want to be really detail-oriented, I've heard of R's actually asking the shot clock operator to try and remember the game clock time for each reset, so if you have to go back and reconstruct due to timer or equipment errors, you can do so with complete accuracy.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:27pm

Quote:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I've worked it into my game oh - close to a decade ago. When a player is called for their 5th foul, I am ahead of the game when it comes to communication with the table and my P.

Like I said, it's also to keep the scorekeepers on their toes.

I guess my piece of advice for you then is don't try it if you don't like it.