The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

brief, out of bounds but not yet...

The defender poked away the ball and it bounced and no defensive player was near so the offensive player just let it go out. The ball bounced high and then close to the sideline and then out and the offensive player jogged and caught it in air about 4 feet out of bounds. I called it for the offensive team and no one argued but then I realized the ball never was out before the offensive player touched it. it was over the line but in air. it would have been nice to see the reactions if i called it out of the offense it wasn't a close game but next time i will try to get it right even though it is a rare play.

and one thing I learned which is rather obvious- know where the midcourt line is. I got the backcourt call right but I was on a court with extra lines and I could have easily called a backcourt off the wrong line.

Last edited by lpbreeze; Sat Dec 22, 2007 at 12:19am.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
and one thing I learned which is rather obvious- know where the midcourt line is. I got the backcourt call right but I was on a court with extra lines and I could have easily called a backcourt off the wrong line.
Yup that sure can happen!! In fact, it has happened to quite a few of our club.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I called "illegal backcourt defense" once when I shouldn't have due to those extra lines on a middle school court. Coach started to go nuts just as I figured out (without his help) that I was looking at the wrong line. Once he saw me correct my mistake, though, he wisely shut his pie hole.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Once he saw me correct my mistake, though, he wisely shut his pie hole.
Thus avoiding becoming that other hole...
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lines, And More Lines

From lpbreeze: "Know where the midcourt line is. I got the backcourt call right but I was on a court with extra lines and I could have easily called a backcourt off the wrong line."

We have several gyms in our area with "extra" lines parallel to the division line, some that are even the same color as the division line.

If you ever make a backcourt call, and then: a) realize that you've screwed up due to confusing lines, or b) your partner gives you some information that leads you to believe that you may have screwed up due to confusing lines, or c) a coach "politely" calls to your attention that you may have screwed up due to confusing lines; you can always reverse your call due to an inadvertent whistle.

Minor point: It's the division line. Us old timers remember when there was a midcourt line, an extension of the old twenty-eight foot hashmark, that separated the midcourt from the forecourt, which was used in applying the old closely guarded rule, or the old lack of action rule.