The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Question

Here is the situation.
White 25 gets called for a shooting foul on Red 33. After the foul is called White 25 intentionally bumps red 13. The offside official sees it and calls a T on white 25. Official allows anyone on Red to shoot the T. Is this correct or should Red 13 have shot the T ? Couldn't seem to find it in my NCAA book.
Pistol
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Here is the situation.
White 25 gets called for a shooting foul on Red 33. After the foul is called White 25 intentionally bumps red 13. The offside official sees it and calls a T on white 25. Official allows anyone on Red to shoot the T. Is this correct or should Red 13 have shot the T ? Couldn't seem to find it in my NCAA book.
Pistol
Yes, it's any player. See 8-2-3.

I agree that rule 10 is somewhat confusing on this point.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mark,
I think Possession is also involved in this situation in NCAA.
Pistol
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Thanks Mark,
I think Possession is also involved in this situation in NCAA.
that's correct. Dead ball contact is considered to be an "intentional technical" foul. Possession goes to the offended team. (The same is true for flagrant technicals.)

Chuck
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck,
You are absolutely correct!
We finally found it in the NCAA handbook P 123.
Up here we have recently reverted back to NCAA rules after more than 30 years FIBA so we are still making errors on the more esoteric calls.Thankfully the fans and coaches are still in the dark on these things as well so we can still get away with the odd administrative error. This will not last for long!!!
The official in question did everything correct except award possession and the players lined up and played on after the 2 shooting foul shots which followed the 2 shots for the T .
Pistol
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Thankfully the fans and coaches are still in the dark on these things as well so we can still get away with the odd administrative error.
It makes sense, but it sounds funny to be glad that they are all in the dark...
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Wink

The fans up here won't bein the dark for long. We are still in the honeymoon period with NCAA rules as we have been FIBA for about 30 years and have only recently reverted to NCAA rules.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Peter where did you get the NCAA handbook from?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Peter, this is what i'm getting out of my readings(NCAA rule book) , for us in the north. Fiba to NCAA!

Intentional,Flagrant personal fouls=live ball= 2 shots to player fouled=poss. to the offended team closest to where the foul occured.
Intentional,Flagrant technical fouls=dead ball=2 shots to any player of the offended team=poss. to the offended team @ division line.
I to could not find any reference to the fact that for Int.or Flag. Tech. fouls 2 shots to any player of the offended team. The only mention I see is for personals:Rule 10 Section 20 Art. 2.The offended player shall be awarded free throw(s) as follows:b.Two free throws for:2. An Int. personal or flagr. personal foul and the ball awarded @ the designated spot.

I think i'm on the right track, any comments from the boys who work with mens NCAA rules.
Seems funny player takes a fat lip during a dead ball & no shots for him. Teddly from the north!
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Teddly
Seems funny player takes a fat lip during a dead ball & no shots for him. Teddly from the north! [/B]
I don't know what FIBA does, but anyone on the offended team can take the technical FTs.

So if the offended coach wants his player to have his "revenge", then the offended player would be the one to take the throws.

Sometimes it is better if the player is a poor free-thrower to have his mates take the throws (the scoreboard is the sweetest revenge).
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
I to could not find any reference to the fact that for Int.or Flag. Tech. fouls 2 shots to any player of the offended team.

Rule 10, Section 12. Penalty for Flagrant Technical Fouls
Art. 1. The penalty for a flagrant technical foul shall be two free throws awarded to any member of the offended team and possession of the ball to the offended team at a designated spot at the division line.

Rule 10, Section 14. Penalty for Intentional Technical Fouls
Art. 1. The penalty for an intentional technical foul shall be two free throws awarded to any member of the offended team and possession of the ball to the offended teamat the division line.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
Seems funny player takes a fat lip during a dead ball & no shots for him. Teddly from the north!
I don't know what FIBA does, but anyone on the offended team can take the technical FTs.

So if the offended coach wants his player to have his "revenge", then the offended player would be the one to take the throws.

Sometimes it is better if the player is a poor free-thrower to have his mates take the throws (the scoreboard is the sweetest revenge).
[/B]
Slider, FIBA is the same. Technical foul shots can be attempted by any player (already on the court). In FIBA you cannot substitute a player ontot he court to attempt freethrows, unless there is an injury.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone all questions well answered.
Pistol