Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

B1 is in (or will be in) a position such that, if there were contact with A1, B1 would be charged with a foul. If A1 changes his path and there is no contact, there is no foul on B1 for forcing A1 to change his path.
Are you studying contract law?

How about this: "While standing in someone's path may be an illegal position, there is NO foul unless/until contact is made."
No - I think that's my problem. I'll stop by the law school on Monday to see how this should be worded .
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: Yikes!! I'm gonna git in trouble again

Quote:
Originally posted by egausch
So, for the above play, with no contact, the basket should have counted and no whistle!?!?
EG
Coach, to have a personal foul, you must have contact. I had some knucklehead in the stands tonight yelling "Illegal screen! Illegal screen!" I replied, "Did you see any contact!?!" Guess what? No response.

The same thing happens when a taller player jumps, reaches over a shorter player and takes a rebound. "Over the back! Over the back!" Besides the fact that there's no such thing s "Over the back!", it's not a foul is there's no contact. Even if there is contact, it can be incidental, if no one is displaced.

I'm on a roll now so I'll add...

Early in the thrid qtr. each of my partners calls a foul on the visiting team for undercutting an opponent who went up for a rebound. In both cases, the fouler was backing up. Know what the coach said? Yep! "He's blocking out!" "Coach, when he's displacing the player behind him, he's not blocking out. He's backing him out and it's a foul."

I'm off my soapbox now.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

my two cents.

1) there is no such thing as a moving screen.. It's either illegal or not.

2) Can a player set a screen? still be moving? and there be contact and not a foul? I believe the anser is yes!

A1 is in transition to the baket. A2 is about a two steps behind A1, and B1 is just behind A2. A2 slows her running down that causes B1 to bump into A2, and A1 makes an easy uncontested layup. This is a good play A1 is entitiled to the spot, and did not change path, direction etc. just slowed down. I have heard coaches yell that's a moving screen.... Oh well
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

A1 is in transition to the baket. A2 is about a two steps behind A1, and B1 is just behind A2. A2 slows her running down that causes B1 to bump into A2, and A1 makes an easy uncontested layup. This is a good play A1 is entitiled to the spot, and did not change path, direction etc. just slowed down. I have heard coaches yell that's a moving screen.... Oh well
Classic play from 10-3-6d. If the guy in front slows down, contact is the responsibility of the guy following.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

FYI

Here's another NF rules reference to support this thread.
4.C.2 in Points of Emphasis:
"It is not a moving screen unless there is contact"
FYI,
EG