The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

I did an 8th grade tournament this weekend and had a situation come up that has me wondering about when to call a carry. The point guard for one of the teams is dribbling the ball up the court after her team rebounds the ball in the 1st quarter. There is no pressure by the defense, she's still in her team's backcourt bringing the ball up, and I've got my 10 second count going. As she dribbles up the court her hand moves under the ball (clearly under, not just on the side) and the ball comes to a rest.

I blow the whistle and give the signal for a carry. We were briefed, and expected, to let the kids know why we were calling violations/fouls (this was a pre-season kick-off tournament) so I let her know what she had done. She gives me a look like "Whatever" and we go the other way.

Next trip up the court you guessed it, ball comes to a rest in her up-turned hand. I blow the violation again. Coach says "Tell her what she did wrong." I say "Coach, I did".

She continued this for the whole game. Interestingly it was only while dribbling the ball up the court with no defense on her. Once she made a drive to the basket or ran the offense she stopped doing it.

My question is - what would you call in this situation? Would you continue to call it for each violation? The game was a blowout for the guard's team so there wasn't pressure to call things "tight", but I also didn't want this type of behavior to continue.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
After a couple of these, you'd think the coach would find another "guard."
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

You have to call what you see...however, at the JH level, you want to allow for a good game flow, but also make sure the rules are followed. If I decide to let some things slide and my next partner doesn't, he'll have a bigger problem. The more I officiate, the more I think that I'm setting a precedent for the next official that walks into a gym with those teams. We don't just help ourselves out when we follow the rules and enforce them PROPERLY.
In Memoriam

The problem is hers, not your's.
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
I did an 8th grade tournament this weekend and had a situation come up that has me wondering about when to call a carry. The point guard for one of the teams is dribbling the ball up the court after her team rebounds the ball in the 1st quarter. There is no pressure by the defense, she's still in her team's backcourt bringing the ball up, and I've got my 10 second count going. As she dribbles up the court her hand moves under the ball (clearly under, not just on the side) and the ball comes to a rest.

I blow the whistle and give the signal for a carry. We were briefed, and expected, to let the kids know why we were calling violations/fouls (this was a pre-season kick-off tournament) so I let her know what she had done. She gives me a look like "Whatever" and we go the other way.

Next trip up the court you guessed it, ball comes to a rest in her up-turned hand. I blow the violation again. Coach says "Tell her what she did wrong." I say "Coach, I did".

She continued this for the whole game. Interestingly it was only while dribbling the ball up the court with no defense on her. Once she made a drive to the basket or ran the offense she stopped doing it.

My question is - what would you call in this situation? Would you continue to call it for each violation? The game was a blowout for the guard's team so there wasn't pressure to call things "tight", but I also didn't want this type of behavior to continue.
She's hesitating while she thinks, ponders what to do, eh? Did you keep calling it the whole game? What did coach say?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
8th grade tournament . . . no pressure by the defense. . . in her team's backcourt . . . her hand moves under the ball
Doesn't seem like such a "big deal" to me.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:18pm
Esteemed Participant

I wouldn't see it. I would be looking up the court to make eye contact with my partners and see that everyone is where we belong...I would be glancing up at the board checking time, team fouls, whatever...I would be looking at the defense to see how they were setting up...I would be listening to the play the coach is calling so I know what is coming...if there is no pressure and she's all by herself, I can get a lot done and not even see that little old carry that she just did 60 feet from the basket with no one around her.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
She's hesitating while she thinks, ponders what to do, eh? Did you keep calling it the whole game? What did coach say?
Great question. I didn't keep calling it and felt lousy for doing that (like I wasn't doing my job-which I suppose I wasn't). She stopped doing it as much, but it still continued. I also alerted my partner and switched out a couple of times (this was a tournament with a running clock and no reported fouls, though we did call fouls, so there were minimal chances for switching position).

Appreciate the perspective and while I agree with some other posters that it's not that big a deal in that situation I've never been in favor of letting things go that are blatantly wrong. My thinking behind this is that it sets a precedent for that game and requires additional thought on my part to turn that rule back "on" in later games. I realize this is a development area for myself and, again, appreciate the perspective of all who are replying.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

That "dribble" is common for 8th grade and younger players that are dribbling "slow" on their way up the court. To compensate for their small hands over the years they have adapted to rolling the ball with their hands as they dribble, especially in making moves around opponents. but as you noticed, when they speed up, no problem. I simply follow Rocky's views here. There is nothing to gain on this call, all alone, and she can not physically change the way she has been trained to play in one game. it is a learned problem that will have to be broken. If she was attempting to avoid a defender; then perhaps it is the right call.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
it is a learned problem that will have to be broken.
While I understand your thought process - if it is a learned problem that will have to be broken, how do we help her break it by ignoring it and defacto telling her it is NOT a problem or a violation? And yes, I know we are not coaches - but we're then validating it.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's good and important that you did call it once or twice to let her know what she is doing is illegal. The game was already a blowout I think. Once you had made the correct call and she/coach knew what she was doing was illegal I agree that to keep calling it is unnecessary as someone already said - she has to unlearn her habit.

That said - I hope that officials continue to call it as necessary a couple times a game until she corrects the problem. I also don't think you can ignore it and let her dribble that way if it were changing the outcome of a game.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As she dribbles up the court her hand moves under the ball (clearly under, not just on the side) and the ball comes to a rest.

Hmmm. Keep calling it, don't tell her why after her little comment. If it's as obvious as you said, I'd probably call it regardless of defensive pressure.